GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I think MkV R32 handles not so well, why?

pekopeeus

I have my car about 2 months now. When I turn my car it feel it's unstable and hard to turn the steering wheel. Is it because the heavy V6? Also when I do U turn in cities. There's huge body roll. I find it hard to believe. I think my 99 E46 318i handles better than my MkV R32. :wub: :eek: :iono: :confused:

krayzie

Go Kart Champion
You mean the steering is heavy? I think that's just how most sports cars are supposed to be, torque sensitive steering. I came from a 3rd Gen Integra so I don't find my Golf GTI steering heavy at all, just perfect actually and heavy is how I like it. Maybe your old Bimmer had speed sensitive steering like most luxury cars?

As with body roll, I've found the stock suspension (the lower euro sport tune version according to the literature of my orange model) to be fairly firm already for everyday driving, not much roll even pulling quick 90 degree turns into my own street. I would think the R32 would even come with firmer setting than the GTI?!?

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
get some springs and a rear sway bar and it will remove a lot of the body roll i felt the same way i felt like my corolla handled better then my rabbit but once i put springs it made it a bit firmer and reduced that horrible body roll

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Did you test drive before you bought it? You can improve handling greatly with some new springs and struts, as well as a rear sway bar.

.:R32-07

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
Hey dude!

I don´t think the R is unstable and hard to turn the steering wheel... you just have to lear to drive it....

Last night I´ll smoked Audi S4 Avant with 246 km/h, and doing 150 km/h (and the R was saying more more more...) in small turns at the highway in Sweden!!! The R is great.... It´s a beast, with the Haldex.....

Enjoy your car!!! :thumbsup:

Do the Milltek CATback systems + K&N panel filter.... and you will see :biggrin:

Last edited:

Patchy

Ready to race!
I'm pretty sure the an R32 will eat a stock GTI around corners. From reviews i've read it grips like mad being a sport tuned all paw, however i've never been in one. None the less my GTI hugs corners (stock). It has some body roll and can feel slightly wafty if you go in too hot but it never bites and generally you come out in once piece (with ESP on that is). I can only imagine the R32 would be much the same if not better. Perhaps the Taiwan version has different suspension set up. Last time i was in Taipei the streets were looking very bumpy, perhaps there's softer springs to compensate?
Or perhaps the R32 just doesnt like un-settled, bumpy corners. In any case i'd expect an R32 to kill a 318i....anywhere.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
The R32 has got a slightly stiffer setup than the GTI, but not dramatically so... and personally I found it to be not nearly as nimble as the GTI, as a result of that big heavy V6 up front. There's shouldn't be that much roll when cornering though, it sits about the same as the GTI does (just feeling a bit more unwieldy).

Aargh_32

Ready to race!
This is one of the areas where the cars GTI and R are very different. The GTI needs to be tossed into the corner to set the front suspension and minimize under steer. If you use the same approach in the R you are going to be lifting unconsciously because the car's turn in leads to an oversteer condition (at least thats how it feels in your butt meter.) if you power through it the car reacts with a excellent neutral line.

What i am trying to say badly is if you are use to driving a FWD car the .:R will feel twitchy until your reflexes learn the new feel. This of course is my HUMBLE Opinion and nothing more.

WakeHead

WakeHead
Car(s)
2008 R32 #0146
On Rails

My MKV R32 handles like its on rails. Its unbelievable on ramps and twisty roads. I can't believe that it weighs 3500lbs. It has so little body roll but still has a pretty pliant ride on bumps. I'm wondering if the OP still has the shipping blocks in his front suspension?