GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

how bad is it to drop the clutch from around 2.5k?

BlackRabbit

Ünpimp'd
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
Race school is the best solution for this conversation.. not to be an asshole..

The best performance part for your car is the Driver's Experience

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
BlackRabbit said:
Race school is the best solution for this conversation.. not to be an asshole..

The best performance part for your car is the Driver's Experience

Well said. I see you also read the FAQ at VWVortex. :biggrin:
Performance Enhancements (in order of bang for buck)
1. Driver's skill
2. Tires
3. Dampers
4. Springs
5. Sway bars
etc...

Spec-01

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Well folks I thought this would be the perfect time to make my first post and interject some helpful info about the Mk5 GTI clutch assembly. My name is Jeremy Auvil and I am the Sales and Technical Manager for SPEC Clutches and Flywheel. I am also a Mk5 owner that is fanatic about these cars.

Now for info on the stock clutches. In truth the Mk5 is a bit of a step down as far as recent OE VW clutches go. It uses a self adjusting pressure plate which has a tendency to be less than ideal for performance oriented models. I have already had a stock unit sent in to us for examination, due to failure; the stock pressure plate broke into three pieces. All of this is said to let you know that the stock unit is not ideal for launches.

I and the customer with the failed OE unit are both running our prototype assemblies and I have to say the results are phenomenal. I have our stage 3+ kit and aluminum flywheel which operate flawlessly. The lighter FW allows for better revs and improved power to the wheels in mid to high RPMs. We haven't added this part to our web site yet but it should be updated very soon with pricing and part numbers.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. I can be reached by email and phone (listed below). Thanks for your time.

J. Auvil
SPEC Clutches and Flywheels
www.specclutch.com
800-828-4379 x. 109

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
Spec-01 said:
Well folks I thought this would be the perfect time to make my first post and interject some helpful info about the Mk5 GTI clutch assembly. My name is Jeremy Auvil and I am the Sales and Technical Manager for SPEC Clutches and Flywheel. I am also a Mk5 owner that is fanatic about these cars.

Now for info on the stock clutches. In truth the Mk5 is a bit of a step down as far as recent OE VW clutches go. It uses a self adjusting pressure plate which has a tendency to be less than ideal for performance oriented models. I have already had a stock unit sent in to us for examination, due to failure; the stock pressure plate broke into three pieces. All of this is said to let you know that the stock unit is not ideal for launches.

I and the customer with the failed OE unit are both running our prototype assemblies and I have to say the results are phenomenal. I have our stage 3+ kit and aluminum flywheel which operate flawlessly. The lighter FW allows for better revs and improved power to the wheels in mid to high RPMs. We haven't added this part to our web site yet but it should be updated very soon with pricing and part numbers.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. I can be reached by email and phone (listed below). Thanks for your time.

J. Auvil
SPEC Clutches and Flywheels
www.specclutch.com
800-828-4379 x. 109

Hey... Does the name Mike L. right a bell for that broken pressure plate? haha cause he's a local here... I saw that old pressure plate and saw the new SPEC unit that went in. It was good stuff...

In defence of the factory unit... He did beat the living shit out of the factory clutch.

Spec-01

Ding ding ding, we have a winnar'. Yeah, it was Mike L. I know he was pretty hard on it, but heck, aren't we all. The unit still failed much earlier than I would have initially anticipated. But, the need for stronger/better clutches is what keeps us in business, so no complaints from the peanut gallery. :thumbup:

GTI lover all over again

Over fifty and lov'n it!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
MMD said:
replacing clutch depends on your driving style, clutch has been design to last long period.
in normal cars and normal driving style the clutch last for more than 10 years, that's way some people recommand not using down shifting while breaking, from their perspective wearing brake pads is better than wearing the clutch plate cause replacing pads r less expensive than replacing the clutch plate.

if i'm wrong, some one corrects me....

Sorry guys, 260K km on original clutch, 83 Rabbit GTI, and it is still running, I used it to slow down all the time, it depends on how you do it, just like it depends on how you drive.

My son on the other hand, 12K km and one blown clutch, go figure:barf:

If what you say is true about the clutchs wearing out too fast using the engine to slow down, then please explain why large trucks use their engines to slow down.

My dad drove heavy transport for many years, and didn't have to replace clutches very often!
:burnrubber:

zerogt86

FIA World Rally Car Champion
GTI lover all over again said:
Sorry guys, 260K km on original clutch, 83 Rabbit GTI, and it is still running, I used it to slow down all the time, it depends on how you do it, just like it depends on how you drive.

My son on the other hand, 12K km and one blown clutch, go figure:barf:

If what you say is true about the clutchs wearing out too fast using the engine to slow down, then please explain why large trucks use their engines to slow down.

My dad drove heavy transport for many years, and didn't have to replace clutches very often!

Do you know what your son was doing to wear the clutch out so quickly?

Spec-01

I have used downshifting to slow my vehicles for years with no such issues of reduced clutch longevity. My first manual tranmission was in a Honda Accord that I sold with 174K miles on the stock clutch and I down shifted to slow it down from the day I drove it off the dealer lot. It really comes down to how much a clutch is slipped, or if the unit is dragged/ridden by the driver (leaving the left foot on the clutch pedal while driving). Of course there is always the issue of launches and just out and out abuse, but my experience is that "no body drives like that" or at least they never admit to it (lol). :burnrubber:

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
GTI lover all over again said:

It's all about rev-matching. I perfected it on my MK3 and am working on perfecting the Mk5 rev-match.

It's the ones who try to downshift and slip the clutch in. You've heard 'em, it takes them forever to downshift into the lower gear... Thats where the nasty wear comes from, just like riding the clutch.

If you rev-match downshifts you should be fine...