GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Highest Speed You Have Reached In Your MKV

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
can someone tell me why you can only go 50 mph on the spare tire? is it the speed rating on the tire or the wheel itself?

No, the tire is the same as the normal 17" ContiProContact all season tires. I believe it's because it's a 205/55/16 and obviously slightly different size than the 225/45/17 or 225/40/18 tires. I've gone over 100 for short periods with my spare tire on. I'm thinking it's to cover VW's ass in case something did happen at higher than 50mph.

If it was a temporary spare, you can bet I wouldn't go faster than 50 on it. I've seen one in person blow up at 70mph and it was scary shit. Thank God I was 5 or 6 car lengths behind the car because otherwise I would've hit tire remnants.

DivineStrike

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 Black Magic GTI
I hit around an indicated 120ish mph, like it was nothing in 6th gear going up hill, when I first got the car (didn't have the garmin then). I've definitely noticed the speedo is off...Like 2-3 off going around 80mph. Fastest recorded on the gps 100. I think the speedo was at like 105. Haven't gotten the chance to really test her out...every time I'm on the right road and want to its always raining or wet so I can't its lame

Edit: i just kinda had a scary thought...imagine car companies using gps eventually as the way for you to know how fast your going...granted it be far more accurate but I dunno if I want a bunch of people knowing where i'm drivin

BTW, is there anyway we can fix how far off the speedo is?

S4NoMore

Car(s)
2008 GTI 2-door 6MT
about 125 in the golf, stock.
fastest ever was in this car:

the highest i saw on the HUD was 172, coulda gone over but honestly at those speeds your eyes better be on the road (even the HUD goes out of focus). the car can definitely go higher, but this was only between an onramp and the next exit (roughly 1.5 miles). when i drive it i'm always on the lookout for the perfect conditions to go higher, i want to hit 180. but the risk is huge and i don't know if i'll ever get there. still, best.car.ever. :bow:

yahookendogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08' GTI United Gray
i hit about 145 when i had a 350Z, with a gti about the same, tried it few times, very solid.

TheSneakyOnion

125 on Persing Avenue next to Los Angeles International, and also 125 on the 405 at about 11pm. There is a long winding chicane on Persing that makes it very interesting at very high speeds. (speed limit there is 50 :p)