GOLFMKV

HID Fogs Questions

GTI4John74

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Are you sure not the wiring harness?

This seems to be my problem.

"Use this relay harness to connect HIDs to cars with very small gauge wiring that cannot supply the initial surge current required to light the bulbs reliably. Symptoms indicating the harness is required would be intermittent starting or lights going out after being turned on for several minutes and requiring you to turn the lights off and back on for them to turn back on again. Recommended for all 55W HID installations but most American and European cars work at 35W/55W without the harness. The harness is definitely recommended for Quad';s and other ATVs or when running multiple HID installations. This harness is a fused relay isolation harness capable of supplying 20A at 12vdc. Not required when using High / Low kits."

ITEM: HID Harness (Dual in, Dual out) $9.99 on DDMtuning

nope, do not buy that one. You will end up plugging that thing in your battery which is technically not a good idea.

this is how you should run the error canceller:

HID ballast ---> error canceller ---> HID 9006 bulb

if you have a 35w, you should buy the error canceller because our fogs draws 55w power in PWM (pulse width modulation). So if you use a 35w, it will flicker. You should actually have a 55w HID ballast with the error canceller.

That's what I use and my HIDs are flicker free.

Jmp680

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
nope, do not buy that one. You will end up plugging that thing in your battery which is technically not a good idea.

this is how you should run the error canceller:

HID ballast ---> error canceller ---> HID 9006 bulb

if you have a 35w, you should buy the error canceller because our fogs draws 55w power in PWM (pulse width modulation). So if you use a 35w, it will flicker. You should actually have a 55w HID ballast with the error canceller.

That's what I use and my HIDs are flicker free.

Okay, will the error canceler fix my problem even though I have the 35w set?

GTI4John74

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI
error cancelers are capacitors basically, buy them - some people hit or miss on those too

^this, since you have a 35w, it will be a hit/miss. If it flickers on 1 side, swap it on the other side, until it settles.

If it doesn't go, get a 55w ballast w/ error canceller.

GTI4John74

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI
once you get it right, you can run your car like this w/ HID fogs at night:

;)

it's nasty!

Jmp680

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI

GTI4John74

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI

Jmp680

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
yup, exactamento! that's the one! However, you have 35w, so it will be a hit/miss.

If it still doesn't go, get USP's HID.

For one thing before I did this HID fog myself, I was using VVME which was terrible, so i then chose DDMTuning.

I hope this works... Order has been placed. :mad0259:

gmmills

South African
Car(s)
CW GTI
yup, exactamento! that's the one! However, you have 35w, so it will be a hit/miss.

If it still doesn't go, get USP's HID.

For one thing before I did this HID fog myself, I was using VVME which was terrible, so i then chose DDMTuning.

If it doesnt work sell them and buy the USP - ive tried a set before and now im using usp and they work great so far!

GTI4John74

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI
^ my Raptor HIDs from DDMTuning has been running fine for 2 years now with no issues. In fact i've used my HID fogs more than my HID headlights that I have not replaced my headlights for 5 years now!

But yah if the Raptor HIDs fail, I will get USP as well. I already have their RFB LED interior kit and it's phenomenal!

^ my Raptor HIDs from DDMTuning has been running fine for 2 years now with no issues. In fact i've used my HID fogs more than my HID headlights that I have not replaced my headlights for 5 years now!

But yah if the Raptor HIDs fail, I will get USP as well. I already have their RFB LED interior kit and it's phenomenal!

I had the 55W raptor HIDs for a while. Then I had a small accident which crushed the right ballast. I really should replace it soon. Shocking enough, if i leave the busted ballast plugged in, no BOW.

Jmp680

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Just thought I would update everybody with my fogs. I received the ddmtuning error eliminators and they work like a charm! I was very pleased with their customer service and most of all the lights.

Thanks for the help fellas.:thanks:

GTI4John74

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Just thought I would update everybody with my fogs. I received the ddmtuning error eliminators and they work like a charm! I was very pleased with their customer service and most of all the lights.

Thanks for the help fellas.:thanks:

congrats! glad everything worked well! :thumbsup: