GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Government Regs Starting 2025

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Or if you have your head buried in the sand.
Just give everything 6+ months nowadays and it goes from “conspiracy theory” to “of course it happened”; and/or “it’s a good thing”. Anyone who can’t see this pattern yet likely never will

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Driver monitoring systems & kill switches have been discussed for years by safety lobbying groups in the EU regulations directorates.

Its like so called "smart meters"......only now are people realising that the smart meters don't actually "save the planet", as people ignore the displays after a few months...the only reason for them is so that the utilities companies can remotely cut off your supply....which they can do & possibly in the wrong cases!...."computer says"........or "sorry we got your meter mixed up with somebody else who was supposed to be cut off" ....

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Fine, I have no interest in any new cars anyway. I figure we have about 15-20 years before I’ll have to pay to drive my own car as safer, more efficient systems will be in place. I’ll be old enough that I’ll want someone else to drive me around anyway, most of the time.

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
Uhh, there's no reason to "ignore the display". You can save money by using electricity during off-peak times. Or, you can be a curmudgeon and pay more than you need to. And then complain about how the price of electricity keeps going up.
Driver monitoring systems & kill switches have been discussed for years by safety lobbying groups in the EU regulations directorates.

Its like so called "smart meters"......only now are people realising that the smart meters don't actually "save the planet", as people ignore the displays after a few months...the only reason for them is so that the utilities companies can remotely cut off your supply....which they can do & possibly in the wrong cases!...."computer says"........or "sorry we got your meter mixed up with somebody else who was supposed to be cut off" ....

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Uhh, there's no reason to "ignore the display". You can save money by using electricity during off-peak times. Or, you can be a curmudgeon and pay more than you need to. And then complain about how the price of electricity keeps going up.
What "off peak times"...there's not much difference over here...unless you have solar, or the old "white heating".....!!....

I had one installed & i knew it wouldn't work as the walls of the buildings are at least 12inch to 18inch thick stone.....so it cannot pick up the signals from the masts to transmit the readings...

My neighbours all suffer the same problems....piece of junk....they keep pestering my elderly mother to get them installed but I know it will have the same problem (unable to receive the signal)...bunch of #*#*##**##!!!

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
What "off peak times"...there's not much difference over here...unless you have solar, or the old "white heating".....!!....

I had one installed & i knew it wouldn't work as the walls of the buildings are at least 12inch to 18inch thick stone.....so it cannot pick up the signals from the masts to transmit the readings...

My neighbours all suffer the same problems....piece of junk....they keep pestering my elderly mother to get them installed but I know it will have the same problem (unable to receive the signal)...bunch of #*#*##**##!!!
Sorry, my apologies. I forgot that you live in a godforsaken third world country. :cool:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Sorry, my apologies. I forgot that you live in a godforsaken third world country. :cool:

Considering all the stuff we used to have..& yes we still get more than the USA in certain respects...The UK followed the "money first" marketing mantra...."make the utilities companies private it will make things better!".......It was obvious it would be a total clusterfuck, but they all went with it!!......The only people to benefit were the shareholders!!...

Yes I still get free health care & operations thanks to our NHS...but that system is being abused & is seriously overstretched...& the UK Gov' as always looks to the example that the USA sets.....so before long it'll be all private & you have to get insurance otherwise you're left to die...

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Fine, I have no interest in any new cars anyway. I figure we have about 15-20 years before I’ll have to pay to drive my own car as safer, more efficient systems will be in place. I’ll be old enough that I’ll want someone else to drive me around anyway, most of the time.
“This is the way the world ends: Not with a bang but a whimper.”
T.S. Eliot

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
so before long it'll be all private & you have to get insurance otherwise you're left to die...

This is a common misconception and a lot of people even in the US are not aware If you make less than a certain amount, around 40k you get subsidized... while I was in college and later on switching jobs, I had ACA healthcare... if you make less than 20k, you get the whole thing paid for... there is a marketplace where you chose the provider, there is a bunch of options (market competition!)... you can contribute more and get decent plans.

Usually any job that that's around the medium income of the US or more, around +40k, comes with a company healthcare plan....

There is a reason the US has the best healthcare system in the world and people from UK, Canada, Australia, etc come here for treatment....

https://www.valuepenguin.com/aca-subsidy-calculator

https://www.healthcare.gov/get-answers/

In Canada, the gov even suggests assisted suicide instead of having you wait months for treatment, much cheaper to just kill you.

edit: At the same time, our public (gov/state run) school system is one of the worse in the developed world... while the US gov spends more per student than any other county in the world.

Thank god a lot of states have "charter" schools, which are privatized and they receive basically that amount per student and they worry about the education themselves. All those schools do miles better than the public ones, I went to one myself.

Last edited:

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
“This is the way the world ends: Not with a bang but a whimper.”
T.S. Eliot
Well I don’t think that the world is going to end, but change in driving is inevitable. Too many humans driving unsafely, in a less than ideal way (courteous, legal, constantly changing lanes, etc.). It’s easy to see that automated driving is coming, for the majority of commuting. I mean, if we could stay off our phones and actually focus on driving, that would help stave off what I see as inevitable, but I have little hope for the human race to take that necessary action en mass.