GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf GT TDI 140 Dual Mass Flywheel Question

simonds1

Hi guys, I have a MY07 Mk5 Golf GT TDI 140 and it's been 'wobbling' under acceleration for a while now and then recently it's started becoming difficult to pull away from junctions in 1st without what feels like the clutch slipping, resulting in quite a nasty noisy judder. So I did a bit of research and it pretty much seems like those two problems would be knocked on the head by changing the clutch and dual mass flywheel. So I put it in the garage today for exactly that, and they phoned me and left an answer phone message (I have no signal at work :frown: ) saying that there was not much play in the DMF and did I definitely want to change it, or should they just do the clutch. So I need to ring them in the morning with my decision :help:

The car is just coming up to 132k miles now and the clutch and flywheel have both never been replaced. Wouldn't it surely be a good idea to get them to change the DMF while they are in there already doing the clutch? Also, I wonder what they mean by there isn't much play? I wasn't really expecting there to be 'play' as such, I just thought they broke up and bits fell off them which is what makes them un-balanced? I have absolutely no understanding of how they work if I'm honest. But I can tell you my car suffers from the 'marbles' noise at idle, which I think is another sign of the DMF failing?....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c60q2fFHEY

I think I'm going to tell them to go for it and change the DMF aswell, but I would be interested to hear your opinions first before I go through with it :biggrin:

Cheers guys

Ecwalk

Try letting the clutch out in 2nd or 3rd at a dead stop and see if the clutch grabs. If it doesnt stall and the rpms go up, your clutch is slipping. I also had a similar problem, my mechanic suggested it was a cv shaft.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

simonds1

Just an update - I decided to get the flywheel changed because I was convinced it was the problem. It wobbled under acceleration, it had the 'marbles' rattle at idle etc, so I thought it was a no brainer. Turns out I should have listened to the mechanic! Car still wobbles under acceleration :frown: :frown: Grrrr. Interestingly (or maybe not) the 'marbles' rattle at idle has completely gone now though. Car used to do quite a wobble or shake on startup that I was convinced would be gone with a new flywheel, but that's still there aswell. There's also a new noise aswell - it's like a metallicy rattle just as it starts. Sounds sorta like heat shield rattle. I'm thinking engine / gearbox mounts might be a good next step? Really not sure.

Thanks for that info Ecwalk, I've heard it could be CV joints / driveshafts aswell. The car does 'hum' or moan when turning at parking speeds aswell so could be related?

simonds1

Hey guys, just another update for anyone that has this problem. I went into Kwik Fit on the weekend to get my wheels balanced to see if that was my wobble problem, and the guys there called me in to the workshop to show me the state of my tyres. All four of them were really badly worn on the inside edge and I had never noticed this. He tried to show me how miss-shapen they were aswell by rubbing my hand around them, but to be honest I couldn't feel it myself. Anyway, four new tyres later (and full wheel alignment) and my wobble has gone! Well, it's 90% gone. I'm not sure if the final 10% is actually in my mind because I'm so used to it wobbling though!