GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine louder after timing belt service

abdomega

I just bought a 2007 GTI 6MT with 96k miles. Just for the sake of some background. I bought it from a lot that I've purchased 4 cars from within the last 15 years and I know the owner and family that runs it.

I test drove the car last Saturday and liked it a lot. They told me they'd have their mechanic take a look at the timing belt to see if it was original and get me a quote if it was. We settled on a price and I agreed to have them do the timing belt job including water pump, chain guides tensioners and all replaceable sprockets and needed gaskets.

I just picked up the car today and noticed a noise and sensation that I didn't notice during the test drive. I've already called the manager to let them know that I want them to drive the car to see what I'm on about but I wanted to post here before I bring it to them for my own edification if possible.

Here's my major symptoms:

The biggest is when after I accelerate and when I lift throttle to either change gears or engine brake or just let the engine down spin I hear a loud exhaust sound. Almost like a burble but it's coming from what sounds/feels like the engine (other side of the firewall), not the exhaust itself (not behind me). I can make the car exhibit this symptom by revving in neutral to about 3k RPM and lifting off, it's a loud exhaust burble. If I do it while driving I get a vibration at times through the brake pedal if I'm braking. Whether under or load or not, it's exhibiting the same symptom.

The engine idles smoothly and pulls hard. No CELs. I'm not noticing any noticeable power loss and is operating normally from my lay perspective. Keep in mind, I Have no experience with this car or these cars generally. I owned a pro tuned 2005 WRX and the powerband in this car is better/smoother.

The other thing is what does the turbo in this car sound like? I'm used to hearing a whistle from a turbo but I don't really here that. I hear more of a whooshing sound. Is that normal?

Here's a quick video of the sound that I made.

https://youtu.be/Klu0GnddV-k

Could it be the turbo waste gate? The only other thing I can think of is that they didn't correctly install the cam chain maybe the valves are off - again this might not make any sense but I'm spit balling. Is this realistic? Maybe there is just a leak at a flange somewhere at the headers?

Any ideas?

EDIT TO ADD: Took it back. The service manager thinks one of the gaskets on the exhaust is shot or came loose when they raised the motor for the timing belt job. Should be a quick fix.

Last edited: