GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does anyone know the legalities regarding Tyre Load Ratings?

XXX-1.8T

Passed Driver's Ed
My tyre placard says this on my Passat R36:

235/45 R17 94W
235/40 R18 95Y

I have a set of 19" wheels and the tyre size that suits best not to foul up the speedo is 235/35/19. Problem is that all tyres in 235/35/19 size are rated at 91Y

Which is technically illegal unless there is a rule i dont know about?

Funnily enough the Passat CC have a placard that says:

235/45 R17 94W
235/40 R18 95Y
235/35 R19 91Y

So do i need to find 95Y rated tyres or will they come under the rules of 91Y as per Passat CC?

Or if the tyre size is not listed i can do what i want?

DeanCorp

Ready to race!
Unfortunately you have to have the exact same load rating as per the placard in the petrol tank flap :(

Speed rating is irrelevant.

Car will not pass roadworthy with the incorrect load rating and will probably void your insurance policy too. Not worth the risk IMO..

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
Unfortunately you have to have the exact same load rating as per the placard in the petrol tank flap :(

you can always go higher in rating.....

DeanCorp

Ready to race!

XXX-1.8T

Passed Driver's Ed

Speed rating is irrelevant.

Car will not pass roadworthy with the incorrect load rating and will probably void your insurance policy too. Not worth the risk IMO..

Yes but the Tyre placard specifies 95Y for 18" doesnt mention anything about 19"

TDI_DSG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK5
you would have to assume you cant go lower than the rating posted for the 18"

Jason.

Jester_Fu

My Name is Angela.
Car(s)
Daytona Grey TT RS
Not so about failing rego inspection - in NSW no one will check you. Your big issue will be with your insurer and any possible denial of claim if they can prove/claim an accident is related to tyre failure.

I went through this years ago when i wanted to put P-Zero Nero rubber on a Pug i owned. At the time i could only get a rating lower than the tyre placard... which Peugeot had failed to put on the car before compliance plate being fitted. Long story short, i rang Pirelli Aus, asked if they could bring the Extra Load version in instead of the stock on in my size and they did - ringing me when the first 4 arrived and selling them for the same coin. Low down was the only difference between their 2 tyres was a reduction in the stamped tread wear rating for the US market.

Personally, i'd pick higher load rating or stick with the 18's. There's a 55kg difference in rating per tyre between a 91 and 94. Over 4 tyres - that's 220kg difference which is quite a bit. My difference in the past was < 70kg in a car weighing << than the combined total load rating.