GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do shocks affect ride height at all?

marcinek

Touring Car Newbie
I'm asking becuase lets say you get H&R springs, and then some other aftermarket shocks. Will they lower your car further in addition to the springs, maybe a fraction of an inch? Or will they work the same as the stock shocks?

Tay2610

Autocross Newbie
Although in coilover applications the shock body is shorter than stock. I dont know much about a spring and shock combo though.

Fast Eddie GTI

Autocross Newbie
For the most part- no. However, there are some shocks that will initially raise the height of your car ever so slightly. Also, I know for other applications that there are shocks that have a height adjustability to them, but I don't believe there any for the MKV.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
marcinek said:
I'm asking becuase lets say you get H&R springs, and then some other aftermarket shocks. Will they lower your car further in addition to the springs, maybe a fraction of an inch? Or will they work the same as the stock shocks?

If the shock damping is set correctly to work with the spring rate, the answer is "no".
The spring is made to have a "rate" so that it will compress a given amount per given weight.
The spring holds up the car, the shocks/dampers are there to control the action/motion of the spring thus "damping" it or absorbing the "shock", they should not affect static ride height.

T