GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Forum Discusses Nicknames For Their Wiener And Muds Danger Noodle - Mrs Mud Runs And Hides

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
flat rate. our top tech usually books between 80-100hr/wk.

So why should they get paid for 2 hours if they're only working for 20 minutes?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Scooty Puff Jr
the whole payment scheme is fucked and survives under the guise of 'motivation'

If I were able to make the rules, it'd be pay people a decent wage, encourage them to do good work/minimize rework for the same issue/complaint, and if you're not meeting expectations of quality/work performed,

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I like that we're skimming over the fact that the tech gets paid 27% of the total cost of the job.
If we assume $12 per plug that's $48 or 16% of the cost in materials.

That leaves us with 58% of the total cost for "keep the lights on, pay the buildings bills, and pocket a bit."

Ya'll got some really expensive utilities out there huh?

Edit: Or perhaps another way to look at it is both the material cost and the labor is covered in the first $150 (hour)
The second hour is purely there for dealer profit. That's where people have issue with it. We don't mind paying for labor and material and some profit for the dealer...but that's a whole damn extra hour of book time, for a job which in reality takes 20 minutes. VW/Audi doesn't actually think a spark plug takes 2 hours, this system is set up so dealers can charge this way.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
thats what the book says, and the fact they can do it quicker than the book is a reflection on them

And who wrote "the book" then?

If someone with a $10 set of tools from Walmart can watch a YouTube video and do a job in 30 minutes, it sounds like "the book" is the scam since a professional technician shouldn't be expected to take 2 hours to do the same job.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Woodski up here defending corporate greed.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Scooty Puff Jr
Woodski up here defending corporate greed.

I get it though, it's really more like defending the techs' ability to make a living wage. Dealers are definitely a problem, and unfortunately I feel like the complete overhaul of systems is the only way that we could ever get out from under. A lot of my ideology hinges on what I'd do if I didn't have to work. I get bored quickly/easily, and I like to think that if money were no object but the option were available, I'd go take on jobs just for fun and to stay occupied. But that's a whole different animal.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 K04 GTI

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I get it though, it's really more like defending the techs' ability to make a living wage. Dealers are definitely a problem, and unfortunately I feel like the complete overhaul of systems is the only way that we could ever get out from under. A lot of my ideology hinges on what I'd do if I didn't have to work. I get bored quickly/easily, and I like to think that if money were no object but the option were available, I'd go take on jobs just for fun and to stay occupied. But that's a whole different animal.

Tech's should get paid a living wage without having consumers get fucked in the ass with the dildo of capitalism.

VW's are supposed to be the people's car, and the majority of those people (something like 64%) live paycheck to paycheck, and shouldn't be getting fucked if their car happens to need new spark plugs.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Car talk - i still look at tacos and v8 4runners and other dailies as I kick around the idea of selling my expensive truck for a cheaper truck. Except its not really that much cheaper.

I want a ranger-sized small pick up that i can put a supercharger on. maybe i should find another vr6 to supercharge as a daily and just call it a day.
Why not a Maverick? With a tune, they're stupid fast.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I like that we're skimming over the fact that the tech gets paid 27% of the total cost of the job.
If we assume $12 per plug that's $48 or 16% of the cost in materials.

That leaves us with 58% of the total cost for "keep the lights on, pay the buildings bills, and pocket a bit."

Ya'll got some really expensive utilities out there huh?

Edit: Or perhaps another way to look at it is both the material cost and the labor is covered in the first $150 (hour)
The second hour is purely there for dealer profit. That's where people have issue with it. We don't mind paying for labor and material and some profit for the dealer...but that's a whole damn extra hour of book time, for a job which in reality takes 20 minutes. VW/Audi doesn't actually think a spark plug takes 2 hours, this system is set up so dealers can charge this way.

Your edit is my entire point. Again, I'm not saying shit should be free or anything. But shit should be reasonable. It's a whole separate conversation, but corporate profits are literally the highest they have ever been, across the book.

If I can go to the dealer and buy spark plugs for $8/ea, you sure as shit know they're still making profit on those. You could charge $150 for a spark plug job, pay the tech a flat $50/hr rate (a livable wage) in general, and 40% - 50% would STILL go to the shop.