GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
In about 98% of situations, moving & selling\buying a house is a colossal waste of money.

If you buy a $300k house, put 25% down, and hold a mortgage for the remaining amount... At 4.5%, which is apparently good for 30yr these days, just checked and dear lord has it gone up since last I looked...

If you left after 5 years, you'd have paid your lender almost ~$70,000. Out of that $70k, a whole $20k would have been towards principal, and the other $50k would have been wasted on interest. You sell your house and move, that $50k interest you gave your lender over 5 years is pretty much just wasted. Never mind fees and closing costs, etc...

Obviously a very generic simplification, but applies to nearly every situation where someone puts some money down and holds a 30yr mortgage (which is the majority of home purchases). Lenders fucking love it when someone gets a mortgage, and then moves within 5 - 10 years. Absolutely fucking love it. Those are their favorite kind of customers. They just collected a shit ton of interest, and get to wipe their hands of any potential liability of a default.

The whole "starter home" shit is a fucking scam. "Buy this starter home, and move in a couple of years!". No fucking thank you. Any time my wife brought up us moving, not just because of neighbors, she once wanted to move back to the area we were renting in because she likes that Target better (true story), I shot that shit down. Unless something forces us to move, we're in our hose for the long haul.
There is a name for this. It's called the breakeven horizon. Since my S/O and I have lived in Chicago, NYC, Honolulu, and Boston (area) in the last couple of years so this is always a huge consideration for us.

The simplest explanation is this is a way to break down if it's better to rent or buy for your situation in a given housing market. The "breakeven" horizon is the amount of time that you would need to stay at this address in order for buying a property to make more sense than renting a property. It differs VASTLY based on location as well your own financial situation/needs. In Chicago the average breakeven horizon is around 2.5 years. In Honolulu that horizon was just over 6 years. It's not much better in Boston, it's just under 6 years here.

If you want to get into it here is a link: https://realtycollective.com/whats-your-breakeven-horizon/
even easier, here is a calculator: https://www.zillow.com/rent-vs-buy-calculator/

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I ordered replacement intercooler clips from Zhong Zhong. Should be here tomorrow actually. Just in case I decide to do an intercooler install one day...

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I ordered replacement intercooler clips from Zhong Zhong. Should be here tomorrow actually. Just in case I decide to do an intercooler install one day...

Gotta do it before it gets hot. I’ve been driving around stock intercooler and K04 for way too long.

Might as well start the WMI while I’m there probably 🤔

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
Anyone own chickens? After I buy house in coming years I'm thinking I want to have a few for cheapish eggs
After living next door to over 20 ducks… HARD pass.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
My wife wanted to move because of it. But she doesn't really understand money and costs and whatnot. I had to explain we're not spending that amount of money because we have some trashy, albeit nice, neighbors. Neighbors are one of those things you just can't control. Even if we did move, spoke the new neighbors before buying a house, how do you know they won't move in 5 years and someone just as bad moves in? We supposed to take a bath and sell\buy a new house any time someone moves next to us we don't like?
Which is why we want enough land to not have to know that other people even exist.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
/r/birdsarentreal

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Right there with you. COVID WFH job + 2 young kids destroyed my eating habits and activity level.

Some of you are straight up stick figures though. Even when I was in excellent shape, I was a solid 190lbs at only 5'9".
My resistance to being the dadsposal was so much better before the kids were always around. Now that we’re deep in the throes of renovation and living on microwave and toaster oven meals? 😬

Status
Not open for further replies.