GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
Has anyone tried fitting a 17x8 Konig Hypergram over these brakes? The Hypergrams fit over stock R brakes with a 5mm spacer so I was wondering if they'd fit over the Macan calipers as well.
Here's the reply I got when asking about 18x8.5 Hypergrams:
"Currently the Hypergram number you gave me you would need about 15mm of spacing to clear the brake and another 3mm of spacing to have the required safe spacing distance for the brake. "

I doubt you'd have much luck with the smaller wheel.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Anybody tried the Mk3 Golf brake lines (1H0611701F)? Looks like they have the same fittings (some of the b7 A4 guys are using these). I'm going to grab a set and measure lengths vs. oem and maybe do a real quick test fit next week.

Even better - $8 a line for OEM.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-brake-hydraulic-line-corteco-1h0611701f
interesting. tell us what you find. Maybe these could be a template for buying OTS SS lines.

My thinking is if I'm replacing the lines, I might as well upgrade to SS lines while i'm in there.

Last edited:

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
cross posted From my build thread. Used G2 Paint, I recommend sanding the Porsche sign down a little. It's a reflective paint used, so it took more layers of paint on the first one to get rid of it. Second one with a little sanding went on much easier.

Still waiting for the Goodridge lines from the UK, 20+ days and the just mailed it out this week. Sucks but understandable in these times.

Empty bike rack coming in handy

Last edited:

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
cross posted From my build thread. Used G2 Paint, I recommend sanding the Porsche sign down a little. It's a reflective paint used, so it took more layers of paint on the first one to get rid of it. Second one with a little sanding went on much easier.

Still waiting for the Goodridge lines from the UK, 20+ days and the just mailed it out this week. Sucks but understandable in these times.

Looks good!

I completely sanded off the PORSCHE logo, and lightly sanded most of the caliper so the paint would adhere better. G2 caliper paint as well.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

That blue looks good. Nice job painting.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
interesting. tell us what you find. Maybe these could be a template for buying OTS SS lines.

My thinking is if I'm replacing the lines, I might as well upgrade to SS lines while i'm in there.

SS lines are an upgrade in heat resistance, (short term) abrasion resistance and (arguably?) feel, but have their own liabilities. They tend to have significantly lower lifespan and more likelihood of a catastrophic failure than rubber lines, with the added bonus of being harder to inspect for nascent problems. There's a reason even ridiculously specced cars like the Porsche GT3 come from the factory with standard lines instead of teflon/ss.

For a dedicated race car, absolutely braided lines, all the way, with a proper maintenance and replacement regime like everything else on a dedicated race car.

For street use, especially in environments with harsh conditions (salt/sand on the road, low temperatures, etc.), if you're not swapping out braided lines every couple of years or quicker, you could be setting yourself up for a very bad situation.

For my use and my driving environment, I'd much rather have the piece of mind of OE, thoroughly tested components with a proven record of reliability over small improvements in feel in a safety critical system. Not enough to stop me from putting better brakes on, of course!

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
SS lines are an upgrade in heat resistance, (short term) abrasion resistance and (arguably?) feel, but have their own liabilities. They tend to have significantly lower lifespan and more likelihood of a catastrophic failure than rubber lines, with the added bonus of being harder to inspect for nascent problems. There's a reason even ridiculously specced cars like the Porsche GT3 come from the factory with standard lines instead of teflon/ss.

For a dedicated race car, absolutely braided lines, all the way, with a proper maintenance and replacement regime like everything else on a dedicated race car.

For street use, especially in environments with harsh conditions (salt/sand on the road, low temperatures, etc.), if you're not swapping out braided lines every couple of years or quicker, you could be setting yourself up for a very bad situation.

For my use and my driving environment, I'd much rather have the piece of mind of OE, thoroughly tested components with a proven record of reliability over small improvements in feel in a safety critical system. Not enough to stop me from putting better brakes on, of course!
good thing i have a #racecar 😄

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R

Never ever heard this before. Braided lines will last much longer than rubber which will naturally degrade over time. This degradation is exacerbated due to the rubber constantly expanding under pressure which can also make it susceptible to puncturing.
I, and all of my friends use braided brake lines on our motorbikes. Mine have been fitted for over 10 years and are still perfect. If you're going to the bother buying bigger brakes (because you need them rather than because they look good), the extra feel you get from braided lines is a must.

https://www.venhill.co.uk/news/are-braided-brake-lines-worth-it-everything-you-need-to-know/

Last edited:

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I have some non pp lines laying around. I can measure them in the morning.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The main reason you want to have a set made is for the brake line mount. I like a factory fit for my mods. If you're OK with zip ties, then there may be cheaper routes, but I don't think $58 is expensive.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
The main reason you want to have a set made is for the brake line mount. I like a factory fit for my mods. If you're OK with zip ties, then there may be cheaper routes, but I don't think $58 is expensive.

I'm going to check out the brake line mount. May be able to modify with minimal effort compared to get the other style to work properly in the bracket. I'd likely buy an extra pair of brackets too, in addition to OE lines (which are actually more expensive than braided lines), so this certainly isn't about cost :)