GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Comcast--this is hilarious

adam1991

Banned
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...to-fcc-about-comcasts-bad-behavior-city-says/

Comcast recently installed Wi-Fi equipment in public rights of way without permits in the city of Corvallis, Oregon. But instead of settling the matter locally, a cable lobby group that represents Comcast told the Federal Communications Commission that it should override municipal permitting processes such as the one in Corvallis....

NCTA—The Internet & Television Association, the cable industry's chief lobby group, told the FCC last month that it "should declare that local governments may not abuse routine permitting processes for construction activity as a backdoor way of extracting unwarranted authorizations and fees from cable operators...

NO! Only COMCAST can use backdoor ways of extracting unwarranted fees--from CUSTOMERS!

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Sadly, where I live, Comcast/xFinity is the only game in town, for actual fast internet. Like in many places. Luckily, the actual service has been good, but the costs are outrageous, as befits a monopoly.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, they all suck because pretty much they all have local monopolies. It's funny how the same business leaders that solemnly proclaim their support of competition and undercut anything pro-consumer by labeling it anti-competitive, turn around and act like Soviet commissars when it comes to their own business practices.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The telecom companies, cable and wireless (cell phone) NEED all that revenue so they can pay millions for naming rights on stadiums, putting their names and logos on hockey rink ice, paying players to wear their logos on their clothing, etc.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
The apartment I just moved out of installed AT&T fiber the week before I left.

Now at my house I can either get Windstream which my parents have and they get like 10 mbps max, or Spectrum at 100 mbps. The choice was obvious. Windstream at my folks place rarely works and half the time has a DNS error and you can't even go to google.com without rerouting somewhere else. And that's with using static DNS.

+1 on the local monopoly thing, its ridiculous

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Was trying to get Spectrum internet, but found out it was unavailable, but was available across the street.
Luckily, they told me I could pay $8000 for them to run the cables.
The best part, after kindly rejecting that wonderful offer, was I didn't have to pay it up front. I could finance it through them for 2 years.

Again, rejected the offer.

2 months later, they started offering service on my side of the street.

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
Was trying to get Spectrum internet, but found out it was unavailable, but was available across the street.
Luckily, they told me I could pay $8000 for them to run the cables.
The best part, after kindly rejecting that wonderful offer, was I didn't have to pay it up front. I could finance it through them for 2 years.

Again, rejected the offer.

2 months later, they started offering service on my side of the street.

I would've took a first class trip to India just to find the fucker who offered me that great deal and flick his nose really, really.....really fuckin hard. Then have a Indian pepsi by the Taj Mahal and call it a trip.