GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Clunking in 1st

mdees98

so my GTI has 152k on the odo and is also the car I learned to drive manual on (not pretty)

anyways, recently I've been having a problem with the clutch where it makes a slight clunking noise and vibrates a little only when starting from a stop. the clutch is absolutely fine in reverse and shifting into any other gear. I took it to a mechanic who proposed that the dual mass flywheel must be failing and quotes me on a $2100 clutch replacement :eyebulge:

If the DMF was failing though, wouldn't there be a clunk shifting into every gear? not just starting from a stop? Reading through some forum posts the transmission mount going bad seems to a reputable idea too, which makes more sense to me. 1st gear has the highest torque load and with a faulty tranny mount it would clunk around in first gear. anybody have some insight to this?? :help:

ben.nieuwenhuis

Passed Driver's Ed
i have BSH Transmission mounts and i experience teh same thing except if before i go into first gear i go into second then it never happens....i thought it was just a incorrect clutch install from teh previous owner but thats the only gear it does that other than that mine is fine too

have it

I have had the exact same problem for 4 years guys and was always told it was the flywheel. It only happened in first gear. And guess what, my clutch finally went yesterday and the timing is spectacular because I have an electrical problem too ��

have it

Just an update To give people a general idea of the costs in Ireland. The clutch/flywheel kit (sachs) cost me 440 euros, 30 euro for gear oil and my garage man charged me 130 euro for labour so 600 altogether. I would expect main dealers to charge closer to 300 for labour though.