GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car's arrived at the dealer - DAMAGED

Candy Man

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
I nipped in to the dealer a couple of days ago as I knew that the car should be arriving any day, there it was 20 minutes off the transporter, my baby. I ran over and after falling in love with her decided to look down both sides and boy oh boy 2 cracking creases and a chunk of paint missing on the nearside front door. The sales manager's reply was to bring in the dent busters and paint the door.
This, I told him was not acceptable and asked them to order a replacement car. The guy then brought out his manager who did not even introduce himself or apologise.
Soon I realised that I was getting knowhere and decided to walk, telling them to let me know when they can get a replacement.
Just a word of warning - If you see a Candy White GTI in Nottingham VW showroom, be careful because the side will have been resprayed!!!!!

Thinking about a change of colour, perhaps white cars are unlucky...........

bilbos

On the Kop
That is shocking behaviour but strangely not uncommon. The number of people on other forums who have indicated that their cars have been damaged at the dealers, usually when in for a service etc., is worringly high.
You did the right thing though in rejecting it. No one is going to accept damaged goods trying to be passed off as new. :mad:

miatamat

Ready to race!
Guess the dealer really didn't want your business, a shame. Being an ex-pat I am often appaled at the poor service provided in the UK when-ever I go back. Good luck and hope you get your car soon.

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
yeah we had a similar thing with ours out here in Australia.

not as bad as that though, but it wasnt till a few weeks afte we had it that we noticed it so not much we could do.

the black plastic airdam underneath the car on the passenger side was missing, and it was ripped of and there was a slight dent in the sub frame not bad but still there, and the plastic screws that hold that plastic thing on were eitehr missing or stuffed up, the dealer said they would replace the plastic but that was it, so i guess it wasnt too bad after all.

SSS_Hoon

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
Bad news Mr and yeah you were right to reject it.

On the brighter side...when I went to collect my MKV I was shown round it by this very nice Latvian chick an all was grand so off she goes and I decide to walk round the car again an when I got to the front, the right hand plastic stud holding on the front plate popped out and the plate was just waving at me...I kid you not...I took it as an initial Hello, pushed it back in and it hasnt come out since :thumbsup:

Whafrodamus

Walnuts, bitch.
Car(s)
2010 MK6 GTI
You should call the sheriff... of Nottingham... hehehe

Seriously though, that sucks and is unacceptable.

Double-V

Go Kart Champion
A lot, and I mean A LOT, of cars are repaired due to shipping damage, and it is not disclosed to the consumer. Not cool, but it is what happens.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast. Nothing you or they can do about it. Cars often get damaged whenever they're taken ANYWHERE for service. I recommend you walk around your vehicle with the service person before you drop it off as most only do it when they pick it up, which is wrong. The night I first bought my first new car, a 1990 Civic Si in white, a lady broadsided me. I hadn't even bought the car yet. I could have given them the keys and walked away, but instead, knowing they did wreck the car, I bought it only to wait two weeks for it to return from a crappy body/paint job.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Candy Man said:
and boy oh boy 2 cracking creases and a chunk of paint missing on the nearside front door.

In the USA, we have the right to reject a damaged car if we find the issue before we sign for it. You don't lose the deposit if you have them order a new car for you.

It is suprising how many here sign for their new cars without a complete inspection. I usually allow 1 1/2 hours for the inspection and require special conditions ("off-truck" inspection (before they start the prep),daylight or in lite shop, lift available, no dealer wash or wax (they usually damage the paint beyond repair), etc)

Of course, all these special conditions need to be written on the sales contract.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Double-V said:
A lot, and I mean A LOT, of cars are repaired due to shipping damage, and it is not disclosed to the consumer. Not cool, but it is what happens.

None of this damage is undetectable if you give the car a pre-delivery inspection. If you don't want a repaired car, inspect before you sign for it.