GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CarMax pre-sales service?

michail77

Go Kart Champion
This isn't related to a MKV but I figured I'd ask here and see if anyone knows CarMax's process? I Purchased a Mercedes with 20K miles. According to Mercedes it has had all its required services performed at a dealership.

CarMax said they re-do the servicing anyway. Which is the part that has me concerned as this is a high output German turbo engine. While they do sell a high number of BMWs, Mercedes and VWs I don't trust what oil they may have used.

I'm going to change the oil out myself over the next few days. The MB dealer charges $280 for the oil change. :lol:

gdub9

Go Full Jeremy Clarkson
Car(s)
08 GTI
So is there a question? You said you'll change it yourself because you don't trust Carmax. Dealers use whatever oil is required for that vehicle. They'll put whatever oil brand they choose in it, probably autozone or whatever is cheapest. They're not gonna spend a fortune and put Royal Purple in a car.

michail77

Go Kart Champion
The question is do they have policy to use manufacture spec? Mercedes has record of doing the 20K service but CarMax did an oil change too. At least they said they did and stickerd the car.

The oils this car takes and the MKVs tend to be the same. BMW, MB and VAG specs tend to go together and most places don't carry those spec oils.

It's just a matter of curiosity as I'm going to make sure it's up to spec.

gdub9

Go Full Jeremy Clarkson
Car(s)
08 GTI
All dealers have that policy, I worked at Nissan and we always ordered whatever oil we didn't have in stock. I'm sure being Carmax & dealing with all sorts of manufacturers, I'm sure they have it on hand or ordered it. I doubt they'd put 0-20 in a car that takes 5-40 or whatever.

gdub9

Go Full Jeremy Clarkson
Car(s)
08 GTI
All dealers have that policy, I worked at Nissan and we always ordered whatever oil we didn't have in stock. I'm sure being Carmax & dealing with all sorts of manufacturers, I'm sure they have it on hand or ordered it. I doubt they'd put 0-20 in a car that takes 5-40 or whatever.