GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbinio Intake?

tmrakip

Dog is my co-pilot
I just put on a K&N filter (was going to say threw it on, but it was much more of a production than other cars I've had) and have the Oettinger intake on the way (same as the one mentioned.) As mentioned, carbon fiber is a very good for heat resistance and I'm sure the design is at least some improvement from the stock unich, which is rather impressive in design for an OEM piece IMHO. Will update when I get it in.

flapper

Passed Driver's Ed
Allright - first thing - what the f is that fast and fuzzynuts thing on my tag??? That was not anything I entered whern I signed up!!???

Ok, on topic - I installed the Carbonio a few weeks ago and have really noticed improve throttle response at highway speeds. Noticed some improvement above about 25mph. Seat dyno doesn't necessarily meter any power increase, but she gets-up and goes quicker.

Re intake temps - I think it's pretty much a tail-chaser. Technically, it does matter, but once the air gets to turbo, 50 above ambient or 100 above ambient is bfd.

For the v-flow or neuspeed, once the engine’s been running for a while, exactly how cool is that 3' long pipe going to be at the airflow sensor? at the turbo intake?? I gotta believe it's going to be close to that at the inside of the hood, which is likely going to be similar to that of the stock airbox. So, again, I do not think lowered intake temps are what are being gained.

Gain is in flow. The v-flow venturi design is proven and for real. But, the hacksaw-to-engine-cover-install approach really turns me away from it. If you are really chasing absolute power gains, then I think the v-flow is it. Don't know when they'll hit market, but it should be soon. Although Christmas will be here soon, too!

The carbonio, though, acts like a ram air and does help the engine breathe better. If you look at stock set-up, the grille opening/"scoop" dumps into the engine bay and the intake pulls what it wants. The Carbonio is continuous and pushes air to filter once moving. How much of an increase?? dunno. But you gottta think that the engine not having to pull air in is an obvious plus. And, for me, the clean-looking install is a definite plus.

I didn't have any real trouble with the install. Others have had some challenges with the CF intake fitting/matching the stock grille opening.

Attached are links to some chatter on fixx.

http://www.vwfixx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56637
http://www.vwfixx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57770

jaydubz

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
flapper said:
Allright - first thing - what the f is that fast and fuzzynuts thing on my tag??? That was not anything I entered whern I signed up!!???

Ok, on topic - I installed the Carbonio a few weeks ago and have really noticed improve throttle response at highway speeds. Noticed some improvement above about 25mph. Seat dyno doesn't necessarily meter any power increase, but she gets-up and goes quicker.

Re intake temps - I think it's pretty much a tail-chaser. Technically, it does matter, but once the air gets to turbo, 50 above ambient or 100 above ambient is bfd.

For the v-flow or neuspeed, once the engine’s been running for a while, exactly how cool is that 3' long pipe going to be at the airflow sensor? at the turbo intake?? I gotta believe it's going to be close to that at the inside of the hood, which is likely going to be similar to that of the stock airbox. So, again, I do not think lowered intake temps are what are being gained.

Gain is in flow. The v-flow venturi design is proven and for real. But, the hacksaw-to-engine-cover-install approach really turns me away from it. If you are really chasing absolute power gains, then I think the v-flow is it. Don't know when they'll hit market, but it should be soon. Although Christmas will be here soon, too!

The carbonio, though, acts like a ram air and does help the engine breathe better. If you look at stock set-up, the grille opening/"scoop" dumps into the engine bay and the intake pulls what it wants. The Carbonio is continuous and pushes air to filter once moving. How much of an increase?? dunno. But you gottta think that the engine not having to pull air in is an obvious plus. And, for me, the clean-looking install is a definite plus.

I didn't have any real trouble with the install. Others have had some challenges with the CF intake fitting/matching the stock grille opening.

Attached are links to some chatter on fixx.

http://www.vwfixx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56637
http://www.vwfixx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57770

Flapper, Great information it will definetly help in the decision making process. Although the gains for the system are not that great it appears that it offers the safety and reliability plus the aesthetics of the system look amazing. I am also not comfortable with removing the engine cover and chopping it in order to accomodate the intake. I just wish the price was a little lower, however once the Evoms intake start coming out people who bought it will probably start selling them at a good price.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
flapper said:

Haha that is saying that you are a new member here. The more posts you make, the higher racing level you get. Soon you will pass drivers ed, then I think you become a drag racer, then it goes up from there. It's really meaningless, and you can change what it says in the User CP section up top.