GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can not find where my oil is leaking from.

Maxwell1219

I have been leaking some oil and cannot find where. So today I got under the car and looked and looked and saw oil on a lot of things but still could not find where. My only clues are that it’s towards the passenger side and the oil is dripping from higher up. Hopefully the pictures will help and please let me know what you guys think this could be. I appreciate all responses and looking forward to fixing this. the pictures were taken from right under the passenger side.

Attachments

• 2490F7EA-2A4F-466C-A5AC-4BD6E5B9DB65.jpeg
    2490F7EA-2A4F-466C-A5AC-4BD6E5B9DB65.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 160
  • C68A945E-0D58-4835-8354-DC40A9D74A87.jpeg
    C68A945E-0D58-4835-8354-DC40A9D74A87.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 159
  • F68D1D41-7E29-49DA-9458-95EF08858F41.jpeg
    F68D1D41-7E29-49DA-9458-95EF08858F41.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 183
  • E340A6F6-FD4C-454D-BA95-F5FFB98EAE43.jpeg
    E340A6F6-FD4C-454D-BA95-F5FFB98EAE43.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 172

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
Welcome to the forum! Finding oil leaks can take some persistence (and work). I will first say that if you brought the car to a VW service dept. they will have probably seen it before and for an hours labor (should be less than 140 bucks) you will know where it's coming from and what will be involved in fixing this.
How many miles on this engine? Is it the 2.0L FSI ?
Offhand I would suspect a valve cover gasket or (regrettably) a front main seal.
Get yourself some de-greaser from Walmart (Super-Purple or whatever) and a spray bottle and a garden hose with a spray nozzle. (I'm sorry, if it's Winter where you are but maybe in a car-wash) and clean all that oil off from underneath so you can inspect it fresh now that you know what's happening. Just leave the shroud off from now on so you can just jack it up and quick see where fresh oil is coming from. Take more pictures as you re-inspect. My apologies for telling you stuff you already know. Good luck!

Passed Driver's Ed
If there's oil on your passenger side CV axle, it's coming from your turbo. Ask me how I know.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
^ Turbo oil lines

Need to clean that area real good and the rest of the engine and then start the car and start looking. Safer to clean a cold or slightly warm engine to prevent any issues, think thermal shock .

Maxwell1219

If there's oil on your passenger side CV axle, it's coming from your turbo. Ask me how I know.
I was thinking it’s coming from the turbo but it seems like it’s dripping from above the turbo and down onto the turbo and it makes its way down all the way

Maxwell1219

I
Welcome to the forum! Finding oil leaks can take some persistence (and work). I will first say that if you brought the car to a VW service dept. they will have probably seen it before and for an hours labor (should be less than 140 bucks) you will know where it's coming from and what will be involved in fixing this.
How many miles on this engine? Is it the 2.0L FSI ?
Offhand I would suspect a valve cover gasket or (regrettably) a front main seal.
Get yourself some de-greaser from Walmart (Super-Purple or whatever) and a spray bottle and a garden hose with a spray nozzle. (I'm sorry, if it's Winter where you are but maybe in a car-wash) and clean all that oil off from underneath so you can inspect it fresh now that you know what's happening. Just leave the shroud off from now on so you can just jack it up and quick see where fresh oil is coming from. Take more pictures as you re-inspect. My apologies for telling you stuff you already know. Good luck!
I’m hoping it’s just a valve cover gasket, because I can change that no problem. But if it’s coming from my turbo it’s going to be tough because this is my diet turbo charged engine and I am not sure how to remedy and oil leak from a turbo.

Maxwell1219

First
I

I’m hoping it’s just a valve cover gasket, because I can change that no problem. But if it’s coming from my turbo it’s going to be tough because this is my diet turbo charged engine and I am not sure how to remedy and oil leak from a turbo.
. First turbo charged engine**

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Is it leaking badly enough to actually drip on the floor? I have a very similar situation where my driver side axle is consistently coated with oil but not to the point of dripping. I've actually had this for a few years. I change my own oil about twice a year and clean it up but next time I'm under there it's back. I only lose about 1/2 qt oil every few months so it's not a significant leak but I've been thinking it's an oil line from the turbo. I'll get it checked out in a month or so when I go it for a new clutch.