GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Black smoke taking off from a stop after idling

eiresgaus

Passed Driver's Ed
Wondering if anyone has ever come across this problem before.

My car is throwing no codes, I've replaced the PCV and when my car was in the shop for a clutch I asked them to take a look at it and they performed an "induction service" which I'm pretty sure is a load of crap, but tried it anyway.

The only time the car smokes is when moving off from a stop after idling for a minute or so. The weird thing is it doesn't do it much, if at all, when my A/C is on. I'm guessing it has something to do with the slightly higher RPM it sits at for idle with the A/C on.

I am catless so get the usual bit of smoke on WOT but this smoke I'm talking about is a big cloud of smoke that engulfs the car behind me to the point where I can barely see it out my rear view. And then there's little to no smoke at any other time.

Any ideas??

mk5fanatic

Car(s)
GTI
Mine is doing same thing even after I did my valve cover gasket come to find out my turbo is going bad this the reason I'm going to a ko4 I would recommend getting your VCG done and once that's done if it still does it it's gonna be your turbo how many miles are on the engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eiresgaus

Passed Driver's Ed
I think I'll be getting the VCG done then!

There's 102,000 on the engine, but the turbo is a new ko4 from just 2,500 miles ago so really hope its not that.

sh00k0nes pt. 2

Ready to race!
Mine is doing same thing even after I did my valve cover gasket come to find out my turbo is going bad this the reason I'm going to a ko4 I would recommend getting your VCG done and once that's done if it still does it it's gonna be your turbo how many miles are on the engine

Any specific part on the turbo that went bad?

mk5fanatic

Car(s)
GTI
It's could be your bearings but honestly you can find rebuilt ones with warranties for $650 at shops and won't have to worry about the headache

CaptainPumpkin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW

It's most likely not the valve cover gasket but the actual valve cover itself. I had this issue with clouds big enough to smoke screen the car behind. I replaced the valve cover gasket first and it was not the problem. Once I replaced the valve cover itself the issue was 100% gone and has not returned in over 15000km. The issue started happening slowly until I was having it happen almost at least once a day before to some extent. I discussed the issue in this thread,

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198753

This has been a problem with FSI engines within the past few years so it probably has to do with the age of these cars now and just parts wearing down in general.

Why it is not happening as much when the A/C is on I have no idea but maybe with the higher RPMs there is a difference in pressure withing the crankcase vs idle with the A/C off and not as much oil seeps into those broken passageways.

helldiver14

Passed Driver's Ed
:bow: MINE IS DOING THE EXACT SAME THING!

With the AC on, no smoke. With it off, it looks like a vape convention is going on behind my car. I'm thinking my issue is turbo because I literally have oil leaking out of my intercooler piping. So I would check your intercooler piping and make sure that there isn't oil pouring out of it.

Remember: A slight film on the piping is okay, but if you take the clamp off and it pours out.....bad turbo.

eiresgaus

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I should know sometime next week (hopefully) what it is. And will update here.

My car's ignition barrel and steering lock broke so it had to go into a shop, asked them to take a look and try figure out what the smoke is once the car can be turned on again.

My intercooler piping was fairly clean so it hopefully isn't the turbo. It really shouldn't be as it's a near brand new K04. Still won't rule it out completely I guess.