GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bilstein Sports + Eibach Sportlines - 1st impression

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I added some new suspension parts this weekend.

Bilstein Sports (MK6 model - more gentle valving)
Eibach Sportline Springs

I was worried that they were going to be too stiff but in many ways the ride actually improved. Based on the complaints about the MK5 Bilsteins I would say these are much more dialed in for daily use, not so jarring. It is a very nice but compliant ride around town. I like the new ride height. Handling seems much improved. You could easily do long distance or daily driving with this setup.

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI
looks good
more or less 1 finger gap?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
looks good
more or less 1 finger gap?

Yes about 1 finger all around. Very safe from scraping going in and out of driveways etc. Just exactly where I wanted it.

I also added Whiteline bushings at the same time and it is like a slot car now without all the roughness that usually accompanies such flat handling.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
After another week of having everything settle in and having an alignment, gotta say I really like this combo for a daily driver that is often driven hard.

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
Nice setup! I really like the MKVI B8's too. Just the right amount of feel, but they dont kill you. Or at least I dont think they do. You certainly feel the road more though.

Im curious, assuming your whitelines are in front, how are your rear stock bushings doing? I put off bushings when I did suspension recently. Figured I would just buy new control arms later on. I have plans for the front, but Im looking for rear bushing advice with a suspension similar to yours? Im at 75k and mine feel fine, but I know something will need to be done in the next 25K miles.

And, did you upgrade end links, front or rear? I have mixed feeling on this with bigger sways. I kept stock. Not sure it matters unless the bars are huge (mine are not).

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Nice setup! I really like the MKVI B8's too. Just the right amount of feel, but they dont kill you. Or at least I dont think they do. You certainly feel the road more though.

Im curious, assuming your whitelines are in front, how are your rear stock bushings doing? I put off bushings when I did suspension recently. Figured I would just buy new control arms later on. I have plans for the front, but Im looking for rear bushing advice with a suspension similar to yours? Im at 75k and mine feel fine, but I know something will need to be done in the next 25K miles.

And, did you upgrade end links, front or rear? I have mixed feeling on this with bigger sways. I kept stock. Not sure it matters unless the bars are huge (mine are not).

I replaced all the bushings you see below and added the 034 bushing kit (engine, trans and pedulum(2)) and I got a hold of a new set of ST Strut bushings to use with the Bilsteins. I really like the feel of the Bilstiens and the Eibach springs, it is about max stiffness for something you can truly enjoy driving everyday. I really look forward to driving this car now. I did all of the Whitline bushing and the Bilstein/Eibach springs all in the same day along with my brake upgrade and wow it was quite a different car at the end of the day... oh and that same day I finally got the water meth working so I could use the GIAC 100oct file. So it was a huge day.

Brake upgrade link

Whiteline bushings (full set, I think that is all of them)
  • Front Control arm - lower inner front bushing
  • Front Control arm - lower inner rear bushing (anti-lift/caster correction)
  • Rear Trailing arm - front bushing

Eibach Swaybars
  • Front: 26mm
  • Rear: 23mm
Footnotes: Front Sway Bar Is Solid And 2 Way-adjustable/ Rear Sway Bar Is Solid And 2 Way-adjustable - I put these on previously

I did not upgrade the endlinks, if they start bending I will replace them but I think they will be fine and there is no need to adjust length with this very conservative drop.

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
Ah, ok nice. Ive seen that full Whiteline kit on ECS, the rear trailing arm front bushing is what I was wondering about. I saw in your pic what looked like a shiny new eccentric bolt up top in the rear. I bet that was fun to get out. :)

Nice brakes! I recall Junkers thread too, when I was shopping. I ended up doing Stoptech rotors, pads and SS lines for half the price, but I heard the GeoMet's do not show rust color in the wet? The endless pads surely are better as well. I will probably go this route in 40k miles when I'm ready to do pads again. Seems like the best in lieu of a BBK.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Ah, ok nice. Ive seen that full Whiteline kit on ECS, the rear trailing arm front bushing is what I was wondering about. I saw in your pic what looked like a shiny new eccentric bolt up top in the rear. I bet that was fun to get out. :)

Nice brakes! I recall Junkers thread too, when I was shopping. I ended up doing Stoptech rotors, pads and SS lines for half the price, but I heard the GeoMet's do not show rust color in the wet? The endless pads surely are better as well. I will probably go this route in 40k miles when I'm ready to do pads again. Seems like the best in lieu of a BBK.

I did the HPS pads and TyrolSport Stiffners and I was quite happy with the brake upgrade but this upgrade is much nicer. Of course it would have been a healthy downpayment on a mild BBK system which may perform better at the extreme end but you also get the "look". I would really like to add Brembos and LSD to the car next year.

The GeoMets are coated so the surfaces that do not contact the pads will not rust or resist rust when wet. The rotor surface will probably oxidize normally when it gets wet and sits long enough. Here in SoCal they don't get wet very often.

Last edited: