GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bad Cluster 07 GTI

d1m0n

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a bad cluster the fuel gauge is not working, instead of buying a new cluster i found one on ebay that is exact, except for mileage is over 200k.

Is there anyway to set the mileage on the used cluster to match what is currently on my odometer?

RedGJR

Passed Driver's Ed
I THINK (but dont quote me on it) that once you "program" the new cluster, it does read out your ECU to adjust to mileage and everything else.... if I recall seeing that correctly on another thread...

d1m0n

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got a call from vw dealer an he said its stored in the cluster an cannot be changed, really not looking to pay $700+ for a new cluster.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
The clusters can be reprogrammed as mentioned. But before you switch it I'd make sure it's not the fuel pump sender.

d1m0n

Passed Driver's Ed
The clusters can be reprogrammed as mentioned. But before you switch it I'd make sure it's not the fuel pump sender.

I replaced sending unit an fuel gauge still not working, i bought a used cluster and after starting the car i swapped it in an fuel gauge works.

Dealership can only reprogram immobilizer.

BAMF

Ready to race!
There are a few places online that can reprogram the mileage and match the new cluster to your ECU, however you have to send them both the old and new cluster. They have cracked the encryption and dump the EEPROM, then change it manually.

Have you considered disassembling the old cluster and swapping out the stepper motor for the fuel gauge?

d1m0n

Passed Driver's Ed
There are a few places online that can reprogram the mileage and match the new cluster to your ECU, however you have to send them both the old and new cluster. They have cracked the encryption and dump the EEPROM, then change it manually.

Have you considered disassembling the old cluster and swapping out the stepper motor for the fuel gauge?

I tested the fuel gauge with vag-com the needle moves from empty to full, would it still be the stepper motor?

I tested the fuel gauge with vag-com the needle moves from empty to full, would it still be the stepper motor?

If the stepper motor is broken, nothing would move. A broken stepper motor has no resistance (blowing on the needle would move it).

45acp

I had the same problem on my 08. Pulled the cluster out cleaned the connections and added some dielectric grease and when reinstalling kept pressure on the cluster while screwing it back in and it's working fine for about 6 months. Pulling the cluster takes 3min honestly. GL