GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Automatic Transmissions that work for 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit

ksauce

Car(s)
2008 Volkswagen Rabb
Hi there,

I have a 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit where several of the gears are not shifting properly, and over-revving at times. I've tried the reset transmission trick that's been popular on these forums, but at this point it's not getting the job the done. The car has 161k miles.

I've considering getting a new car, but am curious about getting a used transmission and having it installed at a shop. The rear engine seal is also leaking oil, so I also thought about getting that replaced at the same time.

My main question is, are there automatic transmissions from other Volkswagen cars that would work with my '08 Rabbit? If so, which ones are they?

Boomer Guy

Car(s)
2008 VW Rabbit MkV
VW Rabbit Mk V – VW 09G Transmission (Aisin-Warner TF-60SN)

Aisin 09G
is the VW name for the Aisin-Warner TF-60SN 6-speed automatic transmission. It requires ATF which meets the VW G 055 025 aka JWS 3309 fluid specifications.

Aisin is the name of the Japanese transmission company - a subsidiary of Toyota - which is the largest manufacturer of manual and automatic transmission in the world.

Hope this helps.

From what I understand, this is not a heavy-duty transmission but it will last several hundred thousand miles if treated properly and serviced regularly with the appropriate fluids.

Boomer Guy

Car(s)
2008 VW Rabbit MkV
Are you sure the "rear engine seal" is also leaking oil? Most of the time, the leaking seals on the vacuum pump are to blame. This is an easy and cheap fix. If this is the case, you replace the seals or delete the vacuum pump entirely. You don't need the vacuum pump as long as you find an alternate vacuum source for the brake booster. Easy delete, which is what I did.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Hi there,

I have a 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit where several of the gears are not shifting properly, and over-revving at times. I've tried the reset transmission trick that's been popular on these forums, but at this point it's not getting the job the done. The car has 161k miles.

I've considering getting a new car, but am curious about getting a used transmission and having it installed at a shop. The rear engine seal is also leaking oil, so I also thought about getting that replaced at the same time.

My main question is, are there automatic transmissions from other Volkswagen cars that would work with my '08 Rabbit? If so, which ones are they?
Look at the PR label located on the trunk floor and possibly in your owners/warranty booklet it will have the code for your trans you can use that to search for a replacement that was also used in other models & years. Its usually a good idea to replace the RMS or at least to a very good look at it for possible issue in the future.