GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apartment - Security Deposit

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
How many of you guys never got your security deposit back through no fault of your own, and how many of you guys successfully received your security deposit back without any hassles?

I paid about 1.5 months of the rent as security deposit 2.5 years ago and I'll be moving to a new place on the 18th, I've notified the landlord of the move on the 21st of last month. Now I'm trying to decide whether I should pay the partial rent of this month and hope the landlord will do the right thing and return my security deposit minus a reasonable cleaning fee or should I just leave it to him to take the rent out of the security deposit.

On my notice to vacate the apartment I did request that he take the rent out of the security deposit, but he replied asking that I pay the partial rent of the month without any mention to my security deposit. I just want to take care of this thing without too much trouble ie. taking him to small claims court.

What do you guys think I should do? How many of you had a honest landlord that returned your security deposit without any hassles?

Anglewood

Gear Head
Car(s)
'08 GTI BMP 6MT
I have never had any problem with getting back a security deposit. As long as you are upfront about everything and didn't damage your apt, you should be fine. Remember, you signed a contract at the beginning of your lease, it isn't just binding to you, but also to your landlord.

Lates,

Connor

Zolty

Autocross Champion
Most leases state that the landlord will not use the security deposit to pay the last month's rent. This is to prevent people from trashing an apartment and then not paying the last month's rent b/c then the landlord is screwed b/c the security deposit is now gone and the apt. is trashed. I had a landlord take $70 out of my sec deposit to shampoo the carpet when it wasn't required in the lease and I did it myself the night I moved out. If you really get ripped off then take your landlord to small claims court. My advice though, take pictures of your apt. when you leave so you have proof of the condition it's in.