2 Problems: Intermittent A/C and Cruise Control

GTI_Fahrenheit_859

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'07 GTI
Sorry about the long post. :(

Car: 2007 GTI

Problem #1 - Intermittent A/C

History: for the last few months, the A/C has been intermittently working. I almost always have the A/C On with the temp set at 64*F. Sometimes the A/C will be blowing cold air within a minute of me starting it up. Sometimes the A/C will be blowing outside temp air for 20 minutes before it gets cold (Even when the outside temp is 70*F, the A/C may take a minute, or it may take 15-30 minutes to get cold.) When it does decide to blow cold, it blows really cold.

The intermittent A/C does not seem to be affected by the ambient temp. I have done some testing with my vagcom, and no codes are being thrown. Here are some screenshots I took of vagcom.

The A/C Switch is ON for both pics.

Any thoughts/ideas/input would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, my car is out of warranty and the entire A/C system was already replaced a year or two ago when the compressor seized up.

Problem #2 - Intermittent Cruise Control

History: The cruise control has stopped working before, the dealer said the switch was shorting out, and they replaced it under warranty. Well, guess what. It looks like it is doing it again! But this time, like I mentioned above, the car is out of warranty. Dealer said it looks like it needs to be replaced again, this time on my dime. However, it is behaving a little differently than it was before.

I turn my car on, the cruise control switch is On, and the CC light on the dash is ON. Cruise control works, however whenever I signal right, the cruise control is disabled. During this time of signaling "right", Vagcom says that the Cruise Control (Main Switch) is Off but when I turn the right turn signal off, Vagcom says that the CC Main Switch is ON, however, the CC light on the dash does not turn back on again until I restart my car. At this point, cruise control does not work while driving.

Here is a vid of the turn signal disabling the CC light on the dash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulnh88QTSbU

Vagcom says that the cruise control switch is "on", but the CC light is not displayed in the cluster and the cruise set, accel, and decel buttons don't work until I restart my car. And it sometimes doesn't even work after a restart.

None of this occurrs when I use the left turn signal.

I checked for DTCs using vagcom, and the only code I got was P1643 detailed here: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18051/P1643/005699

There is a special note: "When found in 2.0l TFSI (AXX/BPY/BWA etc.), check Steering Wheel Electronics for Cruise Control related Fault Codes and general Cruise Control Functionality. See TPI 2017317 for Details."

What is TPI 2017317 that Ross-Tech is referring to? Google didn't seem to help much.

I had no other fault codes.

Any ideas/thoughts??? Does it look like I need to replace the Turn Signal Stalk again? If so, where should I buy it from?

Ugh!
Thanks in advance!

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
Don't know what part of AZ you are, but I know some indi shops in Phx metro that will run free diagnostics for you.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I have the AC problem at times. Occasionally it blows hot even though the AC is on full.

The last time this happened I turned the AC off then on again after a few seconds and it was fine from then on. I'm thinking it's one of the infamous VW glitches. I could not try turning the engine completely off then on again since I was on the interstate at the time.

I'm still under the CPO and consulted with the service manager. He said it could be one of the many temperature sensors screwing up but it should do it all of the time if that was the problem.

I don't think the CC issue is related unless both systems use a common module.

ANOTHER reason to not own a VAG outside of warranty.

xxzjxx

Has this ever been answered? What is causing the intermittent AC?

I have a 2006 Euro import MKV R32 (4 Door).

VW Dealer here in Japan replaced the Compressor first, then it came back a few weeks later. Took it back and they replaced the Pressure Switch. Mech told me he is sure it was the issue.

Couple days out of the VW Dealership and the intermittent AC is back again. It's quite annoying especially here in Okinawa where it is humid and warm.

What else could be causing this problem?

I would greatly appreciate ANY input on this one. It's such stubborn thing.

Zach