GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1st Gear Clunk?

ben.nieuwenhuis

Passed Driver's Ed
Ever since i bought my 2006 GTI 6sp a year ago i have had a little issue with 1st gear. sometimes from a standstill if i shift into 1st my car will clunk. I have found a way that eliminates this by shifting into 2nd before i go into 1st i never experience this problem. It also shows when im moving because i can never downshift into first unless i am going less than 5 mph. Even then it is still a hit or miss. I do have the BSH motor, transmission and pendulum mounts i dont know if that plays into it at all but any feedback is appreciated just hoping im not delaying a important repair or damaging my fast :/ I am currently at 121k and the clutch was done with an OEM replacement at 95k.

Soysauce

Nooob
Car(s)
'07 Gti
I'm going through the same thing. I get a large clunk when selecting first gear while moving with the clutch disengaged. I was planning on changing the transmission fluid sometime, and seeing if it had any effect.

ben.nieuwenhuis

Passed Driver's Ed
but that still doesnt explain from a standstill...?!

Zach L

VR junkie
You probably could use a fluid charge at this point when though that's likely not the issue. Go OEM for the fluid. Also, I wouldn't shift to first gear until starting from a complete stop and don't try to force it in. It is made to not allow you into first until at a stop.

ben.nieuwenhuis

Passed Driver's Ed
how would i go about adjusting the shifter links?

Zach L

VR junkie
No the linkage wouldn't need adjustment after mounts