GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4TSI ACT Vibration/noisier idle

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 1.4TSI ACT, which is just coming up to 92000 miles. I've had it for a number of years and other than regular servicing (I do it myself every year. I do less miles in it now, so it's rare I go over 4/5000 miles between oil changes. The oil is always clean and I run on premium fuel to help keep things clean) it's been great. It's always been a particularly smooth and quiet engine. I even had someone earlier this year comment that they thought it was electric as it was so quiet at idle.
The timing belt and water pump were changed a few years ago and haven't done that many miles. I've had a quick look under the timing belt cover too and everything looks brand new still, as I was planning to get it done next year or the year after to keep to the 4/5 year interval.

Recently, it suddenly started feeling a little rough, so just to be sure before I went any further I did a full service a little earlier than planned, new oil, filters and spark plugs.
However it's not helped, at idle there is a vibration through the seat, which is quite noticable at idle. Overall the engine is just generally a bit noisier too. If I put my hand on the top of the air filter there is quite a noticable shake, but if someone gives it a gentle rev whilst I keep my hand there it smooths out (although it's still a bit noiser than I used to be).
If I leave it out of gear and push in and out on the clutch at idle, there seems to be a slight change of noise/vibration, but only very subtle.

It appears to come more from the right (UK passenger side) of the engine.

I've checked fault codes and there isn't anything.

It's almost like a really mild misfire type of feeling, yet the engine itself seems smooth. I'm starting to wonder if it's the flywheel?
As anyone had a similar issue or know of any other things it could be?
Or even a way to narrow down what else might be causing this?

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
Maybe it's start of the issues from carbon buildup on intake valves? Rough cold starts and misfires starts at around 90-120k miles, depending of use, if it mostly calm, slow, city driving (earlier) or highway, higher rev driving (later)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Gearbox/engine mount under the battery could be loose/failing......need to switch engine off & rock the engine from that area...

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
My 1.4 TSI 150 with a CZDA (non-ACT9) with just over 100k miles on it has recently started running roughly from 1200-1700 rpm under partial load when cold. Yesterday, the emission control warning light came on temporarily when it happened. I don't have the tools or the knowledge to try a DIY solution, but from what I've gleaned from this and other forum sources, it would seem that carbon build-up is a primary suspect. I plan on getting that taken care of and installing a new PCV valve..

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
My 1.4 TSI 150 with a CZDA (non-ACT9) with just over 100k miles on it has recently started running roughly from 1200-1700 rpm under partial load when cold. Yesterday, the emission control warning light came on temporarily when it happened. I don't have the tools or the knowledge to try a DIY solution, but from what I've gleaned from this and other forum sources, it would seem that carbon build-up is a primary suspect. I plan on getting that taken care of and installing a new PCV valve..
Having the carbon build-up removed (at the dealer) fixed all of the rough-running symptoms and restored performance.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Having the carbon build-up removed (at the dealer) fixed all of the rough-running symptoms and restored performance.

What fuel do you use???

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
What fuel do you use???
Of the 10548.49 liters of fuel I have put into the car, 10042.5 of them have been Shell's finest (marketed as V-Power 98+ octane here in Sweden).
512.43 liters have been 98 octane from another station, and 30 liters have been 95 octane (on two separate occasions when traveling in remote areas where no premium fuel was available.)
Average fuel economy is 6.34 liters per 100km, or 37.1 mpg (American), or 44.55 mpg Imperial.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Of the 10548.49 liters of fuel I have put into the car, 10042.5 of them have been Shell's finest (marketed as V-Power 98+ octane here in Sweden).
512.43 liters have been 98 octane from another station, and 30 liters have been 95 octane (on two separate occasions when traveling in remote areas where no premium fuel was available.)
Average fuel economy is 6.34 liters per 100km, or 37.1 mpg (American), or 44.55 mpg Imperial.

Thats worrying then!.....I suppose oil type , frequency of changes might have an impact.....but you have me worried as I thought runing the best fuel would alleviate the problem of carbon build up...& yes I know the main cause & its the design of direct injection into the cylinder..