GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. A1an

None of my door switches work...urgent help

Posted this over on Vortex but figured I'd probe minds over here as well.... So today I pull my door panels to recover the failing fabric portions. Driver side goes first, I pop out the insert, then I reinstall the door panel. Go to the passenger side and I decide it may be easier to remove...
  2. A1an

Wiper gremlins

116k and my Rabbit presented itself with its first unprovoked electrical gremlin. This morning everything worked as it should...pulled back on the wiper stalk to spray the windshield to clear off some crud. Normal operation. In the afternoon I am driving home in the rain and decide I need to...
  3. A1an

MKVI factory suspension?

Back in 2007 I installed the European GTI springs on my Rabbit. This was before the spring change in the 2008+ US GTIs. Five years and 100k later the car needs the suspension refreshed. A local guy has some very low mile stock springs and shocks/struts off of his MKVI GTI for a very good...
  4. A1an

Sport utility MKV

Sport utility vehicles suck. Share your photos and stories of your MKV in sport utility mode. Exhibit 1: road trip from Tampa to North GA for mtn bike race. Thule cargo bag was used to carry my daughter's pack-n-play, stroller, and misc bike shit. I didn't have room to store the front...
  5. A1an

An artist's rendition of my car

Normally my brother draws more interesting vehicles for people but he drew this for me the other day as a gift. Yeah the Rabbit is pretty much no frills but I dig it. The original image:
  6. A1an

The MK5 has a new friend (MK2 content)

Behold the $500 1989 Wolfsburg Jetta and the 8v 1.8l of fury! Pretty good shape aside from a few rust spots that I will be addressing shortly. Currently has a euro GTI cam and an adjustable cam gear. Needs me to finish up the timing belt job and hunt down a few misc things to run...
  7. A1an

Cracked sidewalls on ContiPro Contacts?

My wife went out to her Rabbit this morning and saw a massive crack on the sidewall of the driver front tire. Upon further inspection I saw the sidewall is cracked and separating from I guess the inner layer of the sidewall. It is almost one long crack around the entire sidewall. I took a...
  8. A1an

'07 Rabbit - gas leak?

On TH I parked the car with 1/8 of a tank of gas. No gas light was on. This morning my wife starts the car. Gas light is on and the needle is a bit below E. She complains that I left her car with no gas and takes mine to work. An hour ago I go out to start the car to verify what she was...
  9. A1an

Hazing/Fogging headlights

My wife has an '07 Rabbit and the headlights are already starting the infamous VW headlight haze. Given the car is not even two years old...I find this completely unacceptable. Plus, I figured VW would have FINALLY done something about the crap plastics used for their headlamps. Any chance I...
  10. A1an

Flip key emblems?

A while ago I swear I saw a post showing some company that offered replacements for the VW emblems on our flip key remotes. My Passat keys are the exact same as my wife's MKV Rabbit keys...the only issue is one is beat to shit and the other is completely missing the emblem on the back. Does...
  11. A1an

The Rabbit has a new friend...

So I decided to retire my '84 SSP Mustang from daily driver duty and picked up something a bit newer over the weekend. Found a smoking deal on a very low mileage 2004 Passat GLX FWD V6 wagon (auto). Exterior needs some polishing but the interior is damn near perfect. She is pretty much all...
  12. A1an

2.9% APR on GTI??

My plan was to wait another 3-4 months to save up some extra dough for a downpayment, but now I see that VW has a 2.9% APR offer on the GTI. If I qualify for this APR, my payment will be less with less money down than if I waited 3-4 months down the road to put down more with a higher APR...
  13. A1an

My Rabbit and other money pits

Well I am FINALLY done with the Rabbit. My latest "mods" were a Thule fairing and 2nd bike carrier for the wifes bike. She also has European GTI springs, GTI sideskirts, and a K&N drop-in. The drop doesn't look like much in the pictures, but I've parked next to a couple MKV GTI's and you can...
  14. A1an

Check out my rack...

...just slapped this on after a claybar & waxing. The bars are factory VW and the carrier is the Thule fork-mount also from the VW accessory catalog (normally I'd buy them elsewhere, but my wife's employee discount made it a pretty good deal). It desperately needs a fairing on the front...
  15. A1an

Another Rabbit w/GTI Sideskirts (pics inside)

Finally got around to washing off the Rabbit after installing the GTI sideskirts last week. The pictures kind of suck due to the lighting, but if I waited any longer the car would be yellow thanks to the massive amounts of pollen being dumped by our oak trees. Once the pollen stops I'll wax...
  16. A1an

Sirius Sportster 4 Hardwire Install

Just got this done a few minutes ago. I used the Sirius hardwire/install kit from Crutchfield and used an add-a-fuse off the number 4 mini-fuse (manual states it is for heated seats). Everything was straight forward with the exception of running the power lead from the fuse box to the center...
  17. A1an

Hairline scratches in instrument lense...

First off let me just say that I'm a friggin idiot and I should have known better..... In my detail supply closet I have a can of the best plastic cleaner/polisher on earth...Plexus. The last time I used it was to clean off my wife's headlights. The can has been sitting there with that same...
  18. A1an

OEM Rabbit & GTI Shocks/Struts?

Real quick question (searched but found no answers): Are the OEM Rabbit shocks and struts the same as the OEM GTI shocks and struts? Based off the VW parts screen print-outs in another thread ( http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9898&highlight=european ) it looks as if both...
  19. A1an

CW Rabbit...and my prior hatchbacks (56k warning)

Here she is, my brand new Rabbit. Car was a bit dirty in the pictures, but it just got back from the tint shop this afternoon. The only "mod" I have now are the Rabbit floor mats. GTI sideskirts coming shortly. My first hatchback ever was a 2000 Focus ZX3. Not a bad car and it was a...
  20. A1an

Vag-com tweaks & warranty?

I'm considering adding fog lights w/european light switch and the R32 tail lights to my '07 Rabbit. Being the veedub newb that I am, would any of the Vag-com tweaks required to make these items work (i.e. fogs on w/parking lamps, parking lamps on only, and amber rear turn signals) void my...