GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

4/10/24 Track Night @ HHR - Stormy attempts a FWD lap record (how will it end?)

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Even race teams do it on their spring rubbers dude. This is full extension/droop.

1000018040.jpg

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Track pads arrived! I’m salivating… 🤤

Hub rings arrived super fast from DAP, but unfortunately for me, they are made of plastic and not aluminum. So I ordered up some aluminum hub rings that will be here Tuesday. Cutting it close! But anyone who knows me knows that’s my style… 🥊

Testing out the GoPro Hero 6 Black and lap timer gear tomorrow.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Here you go.

1000018076.jpg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Track pads arrived! I’m salivating… 🤤

Hub rings arrived super fast from DAP, but unfortunately for me, they are made of plastic and not aluminum. So I ordered up some aluminum hub rings that will be here Tuesday. Cutting it close! But anyone who knows me knows that’s my style… 🥊

Testing out the GoPro Hero 6 Black and lap timer gear tomorrow.
Plastic will be fine. That's all I've ever used. Interestingly, the rear will probably crack, but fonts will be fine after a few track days. I should really get aluminum.

1970something

Ready to race!
So what’s the verdict on the 034 S3 springs? Should I buy them? Or just throw my B8s in the river and go for Ohlins 😂

Last edited:

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
@GoatAutomotive I'm curious about that ARP hardware - what application did those bolts come from? And what will you be torqueing them to (I'm assuming you're not going to use the TTY specs?)?

I've had the subframe out of my car so many damn times I need to think about buying some permanent hardware... hah.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
@GoatAutomotive I'm curious about that ARP hardware - what application did those bolts come from? And what will you be torqueing them to (I'm assuming you're not going to use the TTY specs?)?

I've had the subframe out of my car so many damn times I need to think about buying some permanent hardware... hah.
Tyrolsport ARPs with deadset kit call for factory torque so 70 ft-lbs just no extra rotation beyond that.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
1712677865031.png

1712677873882.png

1712677905399.png

1712677930888.png

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
1712678270086.png

To Derhase: I measured the dimensions of the OE TTY bolts and spent a bunch of time finding the correct replacements from ARP that are stainless and not black oxide coated. The BO never ages well.

The bolts include a torque spec with them. I believe it was 70lb/ft like Tigeo said. I will confirm all of this after the track day tomorrow.

I recommend cleaning out the threads on the body prior to install, first with compressed air, then a thread-chaser if there's any gunk or debris lodged up in there.

Last step is putting the recommended ARP grease onto the threads in a light coating, and also under the head of the bolt, to ensure proper torque. This is per ARP, same technique we use for head bolts in race motors.

Stormy gets put on the alignment rack in the morning, so we'll see how my alignment gear shapes out prior to that visit.

Targeting -2.5* front camber, -1.5* rear.

Toe to stock?

Seems like 0-toe makes the steering a lot more loose on center, though I haven't done that for this car yet. Open to input.

I raced the GTO (different car, 3450lb curb) w/-2.0 to -2.5* camber up front, and 0-toe, but I prefer tighter steering feel when possible.

1712678369371.png

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
So what’s the verdict on the 034 S3 springs? Should I buy them? Or just throw my B8s in the river and go for Ohlins 😂
I haven't driven on them yet. I'm as eager as you all! 😈 😎 😍

Installing my track brakes tonight, having the alignment verified tomorrow morning. Track day from ~3-7pm CST. We leave my place around ~12:30pm tomorrow.

Let me get some seat time on the springs and report back here for everyone.

I have a feeling they're gonna feel brilliant compared to the progressive street-geared H&R springs they're replacing.

And I have zero doubts or concerns about the Bilstein B8s thriving with them.

Terrence S (I forget his screen name on here) has been running the heavier duty RS3 034 springs with the B8 dampers and he does well at VIR in a 3350lb wagon. I think the S3 springs on our 3100-3200lb GTIs should be sublime.

Will post up final ride heights Thursday after the dust has settled on everything.

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Other updates:

-aero tray arrived this morning. Woot! Pics later.

It's a VW part from the e-Golf, and I've paired it with stainless grade 10.9 hardware that doesn't require f***ing Torx bits.

-2 sets of aluminum hub rings arrived yesterday. Close save! I verified fitment with the new Konig wheels.

-Discount tire replaced the Konig wheel they damaged during install. Then they sold me the old wheel as a spare for cheap.

(It was minor cosmetic damage, but enough to push them for warranty. They said they couldn't do anything with the 5th whee and it was going to go in the dumpster otherwise. Can't treat lightweight speed parts that way!)

-Stock turbo inlet pipe purchased locally for $10 from a fellow 2017 GTI owner. Goes on today to alleviate the mosquito @$$ fogging in turn 10.

-GoPro Hero 8 Black borrowed as a spare/tandem for the GPH6B.

1 will shoot external shots rear facing, the other will be helmet mounted for in-car footage.

Start at 10:37 in this video from our favorite east coast VW YouTuber to see what I'm aiming for camera-wise:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
1:29.9, here we come

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
1:29.9, here we come
Good God I hope so!!! I've done everything right so far with the car prep and my research. All that's left is a proper alignment and great hero driving! 💪 ❤️

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Good God I hope so!!! I've done everything right so far with the car prep and my research. All that's left is a proper alignment and great hero driving! 💪 ❤️

Just don't get to cocky on turn 7. Brake sooner than you think.

Turn 9, keep it on the right inside, you can carry a lot of speed and get it a straight line aiming for corner pocket of turn. 10, brake like your life depends on it & turn in late apex to setup for straight. Hug the left side coming to start flag. After that, stay all the way right, tap brakes for left turn hitting apex. Late apex 3 to get as much speed for straight. I could go on but just follow the guy in the 135

Btw

I couldn't find my gps sensor. Probably in my car at the shop