GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Understanding the MK7 PCV function, retrofitting the MK8 PCV, and why catch cans are bullshit(IMO)

markuko10

markarianGTI
Car(s)
gti mk5
@DerHase what about using the latest rev 06K 103 495 BL from Audi + the APR catch can MS100100....that could be a good setup.? This will go in an S3 8v just with Forge intake and will be a daily driven

Attachments

• descarga (3).jpeg
    descarga (3).jpeg
    4.5 KB · Views: 25

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
@DerHase what about using the latest rev 06K 103 495 BL from Audi + the APR catch can MS100100....that could be a good setup.? This will go in an S3 8v just with Forge intake and will be a daily driven
Not sure why you'd go with an older design after reading this thread....

Full MK8 retrofit likely the best choice for a DD. Derhase hasn't full tested the Mk8 combo with catch cans yet, but it sounds like he is testing that next. It may be true that the best option for a DD with some track day may include a small catch can with short hoses paired with the full MK8 retrofit, especially on leaky engines. Though currently this is only a hypothesis.

If you are not tracking it, MK8 full retrofit has the best chance of holding vacuum.

markuko10

markarianGTI
Car(s)
gti mk5
Not sure why you'd go with an older design after reading this thread....

Full MK8 retrofit likely the best choice for a DD. Derhase hasn't full tested the Mk8 combo with catch cans yet, but it sounds like he is testing that next. It may be true that the best option for a DD with some track day may include a small catch can with short hoses paired with the full MK8 retrofit, especially on leaky engines. Though currently this is only a hypothesis.

If you are not tracking it, MK8 full retrofit has the best chance of holding vacuum.
Oh I ask because the MK8 retrofit sounds amazing but I have now a good deal of my friend, he is parting out some parts from his car and he has a new pcv 06K 103 495 BL for 50 bucks (I thought this is the last rev for Audi + the APR catchan 80...

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit

Catch cans on the OEM system will cause more problems as far as crankcase pressure goes. It's more volume that the TIP has to suck down before it can get adequate vacuum on the crankcase (where it is really needed). The plan is to try and data log this effect some time in the future since I just recently picked up a can that can go inline strictly for testing purposes. I had zero oil consumption all weekend on track, aside from 0.5qt when I was on the basic retrofit w/ the BMS TIP which I've already proven fucks up the stock PCV valves. We burned through about 40 gallons of fuel over ~230 miles in 2 days for reference.

Oh I ask because the MK8 retrofit sounds amazing but I have now a good deal of my friend, he is parting out some parts from his car and he has a new pcv 06K 103 495 BL for 50 bucks (I thought this is the last rev for Audi + the APR catchan 80...

The people who have luck with catch cans and OEM PCV valves I think is by sheer dumb luck. I think MOST of the oil consumption is via the cylinder head ports which no catch can will help. I DO think that the cans may act as a vacuum chamber which changes the timing of opening/closing the check valve and as a result MAY help some people. The BMS catch can seems to be one of the only ones that work well because the can size is small and hoses are short, minimizing the bad effects.

If you don't need a PCV valve right now due to problems I wouldn't waste my money on any MK7 stuff unless you keep it bone stock/no tune/no turbo inlet pipe. Otherwise MK8 full retrofit is the way to go.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Catch cans on the OEM system will cause more problems as far as crankcase pressure goes. It's more volume that the TIP has to suck down before it can get adequate vacuum on the crankcase (where it is really needed). The plan is to try and data log this effect some time in the future since I just recently picked up a can that can go inline strictly for testing purposes. I had zero oil consumption all weekend on track, aside from 0.5qt when I was on the basic retrofit w/ the BMS TIP which I've already proven fucks up the stock PCV valves. We burned through about 40 gallons of fuel over ~230 miles in 2 days for reference.

The people who have luck with catch cans and OEM PCV valves I think is by sheer dumb luck. I think MOST of the oil consumption is via the cylinder head ports which no catch can will help. I DO think that the cans may act as a vacuum chamber which changes the timing of opening/closing the check valve and as a result MAY help some people. The BMS catch can seems to be one of the only ones that work well because the can size is small and hoses are short, minimizing the bad effects.

If you don't need a PCV valve right now due to problems I wouldn't waste my money on any MK7 stuff unless you keep it bone stock/no tune/no turbo inlet pipe. Otherwise MK8 full retrofit is the way to go.
Those that have had luck with cc used BMS's can, which has a small can and short hoses.

SierraCarrera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Sport, 981 CS
Last edited: