GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I thought high quality wraps are waterproof and help wick away water.
I've heard this claim from a couple manufacturers but it has not been my experience. Typically they have you wet the wrap first and then tightly wrap it so that it stretch fits and won't go loose when it does get wet.

The primary issue is when the pipe is 500F+, the wrap gets wet, and then the car is shut off. Coming down from the high temps into the 300F range is quick, but then it's not hot enough to vaporize the water on the wrap quickly.
DEI titanium wrap is what I’ll be using
Good stuff. I like their product, but the ss zip ties they send suck. Get some ss hose clamps instead. Also, get some "rose pruning" gardening gloves that have the thicker layer of rubber on them. Ti wrap fibers in your hands are worse than fiberglass fibers, and almost as bad as carbon fiber fabric fibers. They can lodge themselves pretty deep and hurt.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I've heard this claim from a couple manufacturers but it has not been my experience. Typically they have you wet the wrap first and then tightly wrap it so that it stretch fits and won't go loose when it does get wet.

The primary issue is when the pipe is 500F+, the wrap gets wet, and then the car is shut off. Coming down from the high temps into the 300F range is quick, but then it's not hot enough to vaporize the water on the wrap quickly.

Good stuff. I like their product, but the ss zip ties they send suck. Get some ss hose clamps instead. Also, get some "rose pruning" gardening gloves that have the thicker layer of rubber on them. Ti wrap fibers in your hands are worse than fiberglass fibers, and almost as bad as carbon fiber fabric fibers. They can lodge themselves pretty deep and hurt.
Awesome advice…. I’ll definitely grab those gloves. I’ve seen half and half of if I need to wet this type of wrap too….

So scuff, paint, wrap….

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I've never looked at wrap prices but is it really that much cheaper than ceramic coat? Wrap usually ends up causing the metal to fatigue far earlier than normal.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I've never looked at wrap prices but is it really that much cheaper than ceramic coat? Wrap usually ends up causing the metal to fatigue far earlier than normal.
30 ft of DEI wrap is about $36 vs $250 for ceramic coating (trackslag price if option selected at checkout)

I’m sure it could be cheaper at a local place though

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Yeah ceramic is the better option. Also depends on complexity for the cost. Complex looking headers (like subaru uel or Porsche rear engine stuff) will run 600-1000$ vs about 100$ in total wrap material. I'm not sure how much an mk7 downpipe would cost today, but a few years back it was 280$ + shipping back and forth was a joke.

The reasons I would do ti wrap over ceramic would only boil down to turnaround time and availability. I don't have anyone local who can do a decent job, so when I needed it in a pinch, it was easier to same-day ship some wrap and buy some header paint from autozone.

I love KC, but we're really in the middle of nowhere and that can really suck. I had to pay 200$ to pallet ship a 100$ foam core for a carbon splitter. To get my rollcage completed by an sfi certifying shop, I have to ship it to south Dakota on a 5 month waitlist. I'm just thankful to have a legit mechanic around that specializes in Porsche and knows his stuff inside and out. He paint pens every bolt he touches and I love him for it!

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Damn, y'all are getting taken. I spent maybe $80 for my downpipe to get coated a couple years ago.
That’s a great price! Hence why I’m wrapping vs coating.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Also, they did coat the inside as well as outside, right? That makes a difference with the ceramic.

Ceramic doesn't perform as well as a wrap does, though it does get close. Ideally you'd do both.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Seriously? Where??

I will send them business! Looking to do new headers on my VQ and most shops are wanting 700$ due to complexity of the layered piping
there's a few shops in the metro detroit area. the downside is that most of them are horrible about responding. Rad Coatings in Milan is the best I've found. He coated the inside and outside of my my second to last turbine housing. Kind of a mess before it broke in, but 100% easier to deal with compared to a turbo blanket.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Been thinking of a lot of "While I'm there" things for my motor swap.

I've got about 40,000 km on my SRE clutch/pressure plate/flywheel that I got through FCP.

Is it worth an extra $500 (thanks inflation) to get a fresh setup using their lifetime replacement?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Been thinking of a lot of "While I'm there" things for my motor swap.

I've got about 40,000 km on my SRE clutch/pressure plate/flywheel that I got through FCP.

Is it worth an extra $500 (thanks inflation) to get a fresh setup using their lifetime replacement?
While the hoods open…..

ToastyBunz

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Adding to the stupid questions,
I have a 2015 MK7 GTI with ~200k miles on it. The injectors just started to cause idle issues and I'm able to get my hands on an engine with 30k miles from a MK7.5 for cheaper than the replacement of the injectors. So I wanted to know if everything should be a direct fit into my current GTI since the 7.5 was just a facelift from what I understand.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Adding to the stupid questions,
I have a 2015 MK7 GTI with ~200k miles on it. The injectors just started to cause idle issues and I'm able to get my hands on an engine with 30k miles from a MK7.5 for cheaper than the replacement of the injectors. So I wanted to know if everything should be a direct fit into my current GTI since the 7.5 was just a facelift from what I understand.
You can use injectors from any other IS20 car without a re-tune, i.e. A3, GLI, TT.