GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High mileage GTI MT6

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Curious to know how it goes for you. Mind letting me know how your trans takes to the new fluid?
Also with a 100k have you had to do any timing chain maintenance is that a point of concern.
I'm getting that itch for more power but trying to make sure it's running right to not loss reliability since it's a daily
I'll be sure to let you know. I decided to go with the "EQT Cocktail" of Redline MT-LV and Redline Lightweight Shockproof. I was going to go with Motul but decided against it after hearing some first hand experiences from some of the locals.

And I haven't heard a lot of noise in the community regarding timing chain issues on these motors...

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I'll be sure to let you know. I decided to go with the "EQT Cocktail" of Redline MT-LV and Redline Lightweight Shockproof. I was going to go with Motul but decided against it after hearing some first hand experiences from some of the locals.

And I haven't heard a lot of noise in the community regarding timing chain issues on these motors...
I have just the Redline MT-90 in my car so I'm also interested in hearing about the cocktail, specifically if it gets rid of the reverse lockout while the fluid is cold

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I'm with you fluid change, if it was under 50k I wouldn't question it and would've done it. But the common belief is that after certain amount of miles the detergents in the new fluid might clear out the parts and that might cause it to fail quicker.
Or soo went the conversation with multiple mechanics when my old 3series transmission started acting up. (But that trans was acting up and had 150k miles on it a number of years ago. That trans also proceeded to die soon after lol)
If it was an automatic, maybe I would ever so slightly agree with that more out of date way of thinking, because the fluid also circulates through the torque converter and other various mechanisms. But in a manual, give that thing fresh fluid. Its just a bunch of metal gears and bearings spinning away. Im my mind, changing manual trans fluid is as mandatory and important as changing engine oil. You wouldnt leave the same engine oil in there for 30k miles and say "well since its older if I change it the engine might leak or not run right". Nah, change that shit out.

Edit: I had an 06 miata that I bought with 40k miles on it and the manual trans fluid had never been changed. It felt fine, but eventually it started feeling notchy and had some issues going in reverse. I swapped the fluid out with fresh Redline fluid and that thing shifted buttery smooth. Just change the fluid.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

Bigsmallguy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI mk7
Many are rough at idle with only 20K. Especially 2015 to 2017. Carbon clean, plugs, coils etc didn’t help mine. Some of these have sticky injectors and VW hates doing those. They did a carbon clean and manifold replacement under warranty. Still shakes. Still occasional misfire codes. They don’t want to look at the injectors though.
is there anything else you've tried to fix this?

teslas

Passed Driver's Ed
There is no such thing as lifetime fluid. You have to know what Volkswagen definition of lifetime is. Nobody will admit what that number is but it's roughly the lifetime of a general car owner.... 3 to 5 years. So it's reference to the lifetime ownership of the first owner.

Get that fluid swapped and ha e a report from the dealer on how good/bad it is. If you're really concerned then swap the fluid out a second time 50 miles after the first because if it's the original fluid then crud will come lose from the first fluid swap and then screw up your tyranny which is why the second swap has to happen within 50 miles.