GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What can I use for datalogging?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
That seems to be my best next step. There's actually a specific dongle that's more like $65 but it has an incredible data resolution and bandwidth, so I might go that route. Or just ignore the problem forever until something breaks and CPO that bish?
Aren't you on a stage 1 APR tune? What is the issue? Not much to go wrong.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That seems to be my best next step. There's actually a specific dongle that's more like $65 but it has an incredible data resolution and bandwidth, so I might go that route. Or just ignore the problem forever until something breaks and CPO that bish?
Do you have anything that you can log the basics with? I think you're over worried about some of the smaller stuff. For an example I've never monitored stft or ltft.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Do you have anything that you can log the basics with? I think you're over worried about some of the smaller stuff. For an example I've never monitored stft or ltft.
Yes, I logged the basics in my other thread. Caught a couple runs where the timing was different, and one run where timing was -6 and -7. But didn't have any knock sensors recording at the time to know why the timing was pulled. When I record those additional 4 sensors, the data resolution goes to Pooptown. I'm getting like 2, maybe 3 data points per second. However, I just tried the Torque Pro app on Android and it was actually able to connect to my Wifi OBD dongle! Data resolution looks pretty boss, so I'm going to give it a shot this weekend before I go dongle-crazy and order more dongles. Doesn't have the knock sensors though.
Aren't you on a stage 1 APR tune? What is the issue? Not much to go wrong.
It's not the stage 1 tune I'm worried about. The issue is on the stock tune too. I get random pulls where the power is just not there. It happens less often now that I added a FMIC, but the problem hasn't gone away. I don't know that it's IAT related, because even when IAT's are low, the car will just sporadically have no midrange power. It's not often, but enough that I'm interested. I was able to catch a log where the timing was pulled, but I don't know why. So I'm trying to get stronger data logging so I can catch this little gremlin.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Alright so I found out my logging issue is the fault of my dongle. I hunted down a spec sheet and it doesn’t have the bandwidth to serve much data to any app. So I’m upgrading. Found some good iOS solutions. Car Scanner and OBD Fusion, both of which I’ve tried, should be able to take in much more data via a better dongle.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Same - 2K to redline WOT in third gear. The only thing I've ever seen is KR that is corrected by adding a few gal of E85.

Capture.JPG

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Same - 2K to redline WOT in third gear. The only thing I've ever seen is KR that is corrected by adding a few gal of E85.

View attachment 235072
I’ve done several runs like that. When timing has been lower than -4, there’s been no KR. One user suggested there wasn’t enough data granularity to necessarily catch it. So I’m trying a new OBD dongle soon.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’ve done several runs like that. When timing has been lower than -4, there’s been no KR. One user suggested there wasn’t enough data granularity to necessarily catch it. So I’m trying a new OBD dongle soon.
Go on EQT 's website and he has listed all the parameters that you need to log. That is what he tunes with so it must be complete enough.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The Uni cable/software collects all sorts of things that I have no idea about but same - it's what they use to tune/troubleshoot. It's usually pretty obvious what is going on with the basic stuff (to me).

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
do you have an example of a uni log? just curious and would like to take a look to see what's available etc

tigeo

Autocross Champion
do you have an example of a uni log? just curious and would like to take a look to see what's available etc
You can only view in their software...the downside...but it's a good system and better than my OBDEleven.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Go on EQT 's website and he has listed all the parameters that you need to log. That is what he tunes with so it must be complete enough.
Can’t find AFR in any of the PID’s, unfortunately. I see a “fuel/air commanded equivalence ratio” but not sure if that’s it. Also a bunch of sensor outputs about “O2 concentration.”

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Can’t find AFR in any of the PID’s, unfortunately. I see a “fuel/air commanded equivalence ratio” but not sure if that’s it. Also a bunch of sensor outputs about “O2 concentration.”
Ask @Acadia18 he just logged with them. He's giving them enough info for tuning so that should be sufficient for you.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Ask @Acadia18 he just logged with them. He's giving them enough info for tuning so that should be sufficient for you.

He's talking about not seeing it in whatever he's logging with. I wouldn't be able to help with that unfortunately. In Cobb, it's just called "AFR".

tigeo

Autocross Champion
O2 sensor value is lambda which is what you need.