GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Official" Lap Times Thread

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
That is a good lap. I may have a little more power, but you are getting great drive out of the corners with the LSD. You are carrying good speed through the esses. Hoping that the my Wavetrac will help reduce the power on understeer so I can go to power sooner.

What power are you getting with the K04?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
That is a good lap. I may have a little more power, but you are getting great drive out of the corners with the LSD. You are carrying good speed through the esses. Hoping that the my Wavetrac will help reduce the power on understeer so I can go to power sooner.

What power are you getting with the K04?
This lap was from back in April, when I was still stock turbo Stage 2. With my current k04 setup and tune, I’m estimating around 330hp/360trq to the wheels. I’m still revising the Protune and will pull logs next track event. I’ll be out at VIR later in August to see if the cooling upgrades I’ve made have sorted out my overheating issues.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Remind me when are you going in August? I‘m attending the Potomac PCA event end of August. Might be my first and last Summer HPDE.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Remind me when are you going in August? I‘m attending the Potomac PCA event end of August. Might be my first and last Summer HPDE.
I’ll be attending the SCCA Track Night on Aug 20th. It’s just an afternoon event with 3 sessions, but the price is right and it will allow me to shake down the car after the tune and mods.
I do want to run with PCA soon though. I see they don’t allow self tech, do you have a shop perform tech inspection?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I go to Touring Car in Mathews but Potomac PCA should have a list of approved shops.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
This may be an “unofficial entry” as I’m a mk6, not mk7 😄 But I appreciate this thread so I figured I’d add some data points.

Track name: VIR Full Course
Track location: Alton, VA
Lap time: 2:14:90
Year/model: 2013 GTI 6spd
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3,300
Estimated wheel horsepower: 275 (FBO APR Stage 2)
Fuel: 93
Tire size and model: Nitto NT01 225/45R17
Estimated ambient temperature: 75F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): FBO APR Stage 2, Mocal oil cooler, RSR Clutch, Peloquin LSD, Stoptech BBK, VWR Springs/Koni Yellows, H&R 26mm FSB / 24mm RSB, GC camber plates, SuperPro RCA ball joints, -3.0 Camber Fr / -2.25 Camber rear

Since this lap, I’ve upgraded to a k04 turbo with Stratified Protune and made some cooling system upgrades. Hoping for low-teens next visit to VIR

That's a very nice lap. Nice going.

Heading to VIR for first time as a driver this Nov. with Audi. Been doing this since '98 and still get nervous first time at a new track. ;>) Excited, but also nervous. Really looking forward to it. I'll be watching yours and other's VIR videos from this thread, probably a million times before heading out. Again, nice drive.

DaButcher

Ready to race!
Is it so crazy to use a bike pump for your car tires? Felt like I was getting a few looks in the paddock. I don't think people realize how quickly a good low pressure highs volume mtb pump will get you 5 psi in a car tire,

Added my Canaan time. Going to take some Dramamine before next time and see if I can drop a second or two off of that :sick::LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: q74

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
Is it so crazy to use a bike pump for your car tires? Felt like I was getting a few looks in the paddock. I don't think people realize how quickly a good low pressure highs volume mtb pump will get you 5 psi in a car tire,

Added my Canaan time. Going to take some Dramamine before next time and see if I can drop a second or two off of that :sick::LOL:
I am going to buy a M12 inflator at some point just so people stop coming over to check to see if I am OK for using a bike pump. However, the convenience is good. 10 pumps is approximately a PSI which is not bad when we are talking small movements.

Good weekend at Canaan with M/T? Was busy last weekend and was sad to miss it. I would spend every available weekend there if left completely unrestrained

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
That's a very nice lap. Nice going.

Heading to VIR for first time as a driver this Nov. with Audi. Been doing this since '98 and still get nervous first time at a new track. ;>) Excited, but also nervous. Really looking forward to it. I'll be watching yours and other's VIR videos from this thread, probably a million times before heading out. Again, nice drive.
I will be attending the same Potomac Audi event early in November. Will be good to see you there.

DaButcher

Ready to race!
I am going to buy a M12 inflator at some point just so people stop coming over to check to see if I am OK for using a bike pump. However, the convenience is good. 10 pumps is approximately a PSI which is not bad when we are talking small movements.

Good weekend at Canaan with M/T? Was busy last weekend and was sad to miss it. I would spend every available weekend there if left completely unrestrained
Very good. Pretty quiet compared to the one I went to last fall. Didn't have to deal with much traffic. Time to try another track around here. Are there any other groups running consistent track days besides M/T?

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I will be attending the same Potomac Audi event early in November. Will be good to see you there.
Excellent. Looking forward to meeting.

Do you instruct with them by any chance? Will be looking for instructor for a few sessions to get track nuances.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Likewise.

I passed my PCA Instructor course after I signed up for the Audi event. Also completed the MSF course to qualify me to instruct with other clubs. So technically I can, but I’m not signed up as an instructor. Currently signed up in Black run group.

Both of us can reach out to the Chief Instructor. I would happily take you out for a couple sessions to get to know the track and answer any questions you may have. I’m a newbie at instructing but very comfortable driving VIR.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Likewise.

I passed my PCA Instructor course after I signed up for the Audi event. Also completed the MSF course to qualify me to instruct with other clubs. So technically I can, but I’m not signed up as an instructor. Currently signed up in Black run group.

Both of us can reach out to the Chief Instructor. I would happily take you out for a couple sessions to get to know the track and answer any questions you may have. I’m a newbie at instructing but very comfortable driving VIR.
Excellent. I signed up for Upper Intermediate instead of advanced because I don't know the track at all. Upon sign up I did ask if I could get instruction for a couple of sessions, so I'm hoping that is in process. I was an instructor with Metro and NNJR PCA from '99 - '06 so we'd make a good combo. It would be great to have someone with VIR Golf experience in the second seat for a few sessions.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I’ve Run Blue the last four years. Sometimes it is mixed between fast sessions and some trains, especially the first few sessions as folks figure out whose who in the Zoo. There Is more variety in cars than you see at PCA events. About 5 GTi’s are signed up. Maybe a few more before the actual event. Good to see that.

Made the request for Provisional Instructor status.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Huge PR at Thunderhill this weekend. Previous best time was 2:12. Came back with 40 more HP and a LOT more grip. I don't know if it was the combination of the fresh tires, cool morning temps or whatever, but I had unbelievable grip in this first session (as you can hear me proclaim). Was not expecting a 2:06 this day, I was thinking maybe 2:08 or possible 2:07. But holy hell in the first session the car was just glued to the road.

Track name: Thunderhill East (bypass)
Track location: Willows, CA
Lap time: 2:06.819
Year/model: 2017 GTI S
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3450 (passenger)
Estimated wheel horsepower: 250
Fuel: 91
Tire size and model: 245/40/17 Hankook RS4
Estimated ambient temperature: 75F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): 2.5F/2.0R camber EQT coilovers, Macan BBK, verus diffuser, JB4 map 1, Eibach RSB, a lot