GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Interesting. I run the sport pads on the street, but swap to Raybestos ST-41s for track use.

Have you done the programming to get rid of ESC?

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Interesting. I run the sport pads on the street, but swap to Raybestos ST-41s for track use.

Have you done the programming to get rid of ESC?
I have a R, so it is off from the factory.

From research, I have the KW DCC Cancelers and those cause issues with the ride height sensors being out of range because the car is lower and KW doesn't program that in. I need to bend the arms for it to work. So by the middle of lap 2, the ESC kicks back in on it's own. Very frustrating for lap times, and probably missed out on a podium spot because of it.

EDIT: I'm going to switch to the Ferodo DS2500 for the Street and one of their racing pads for the track. Heard their compounds play nicely without having to rebed.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I couldn't find thermal conductivity data for any of the brake greases. Without that, can't run any numbers. The easier approach here would probably be to try them and throw some (calibrated) thermocouples on them, but I don't feel like draping all that wiring around my daily driver!

FYI:- whilst sorting the problems of the wastegate actuator sticking I did some research on high temp thermal grease after having several types fail & go hard..

from one of my threads:-

QUOTE:-
High Temperature grease. I had problems with my initial choice of 1000C high temp grease, it kept baking on & forming a brittle/dry surface! I spoke to Loctite UK technical & apparently most 1000C grease only copes with occasion temps that high & not prolonged. They then burn on as most are silicon or petroleum based. Graphite or calcium based greases are the best & Loctite recommend their 1300C temp LB-8009. The G052112A3 VAG “hot bolt paste” is just a 1000C grease which VW use for the lubrication of the turbo to exhaust manifold studs/nuts & should be ok if you have it, as it appears to be graphite based.
END QUOTES

No data on their website on thermal conductivity.

Reactions: q74

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
If my sophomore thermo lab was any indication, the results wouldn't be consistent anyway. :)

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
does anyone know the exact model and year Macan these callipers come from?
2 litre diesel I think but I'm not sure what years.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
does anyone know the exact model and year Macan these callipers come from?
2 litre diesel I think k but not sure what years.

At least in the USA, it's 2018 base (2.0L) model. Looks like you're in the UK, so I can't give you a solid answer.

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
next question ... does anyone have the part numbers for the Audi Q5 version of these? I know that they are more expensive than the Macn callipers but I'm interested to see what I can find 2nd hand.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
next question ... does anyone have the part numbers for the Audi Q5 version of these? I know that they are more expensive than the Macn callipers but I'm interested to see what I can find 2nd hand.

Here are the part numbers:
8R0615107
8R0615108

Keep an eye out, a used set just went for $260 shipped
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2014-AUDI-Q5-8R-FRONT-LEFT-BRAKE-CALIPER/133435085140?hash=item1f1159d154:g:tzUAAOSwzRpe4RS4
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2014-AUDI-Q5-8R-FRONT-RIGHT-BRAKE-CALIPER/133435085029?hash=item1f1159d0e5:g:bLUAAOSwlZNe4RSk

Last edited:

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I ran the part numbers through e-Acca, and it appears that the Macan and Q5 calipers are the same price in Europe. $318ea . For some reason the Macan ones are cheaper in the US than elsewhere.

My guess is that retail is the same in the US too, but the US is fat with online Porsche parts suppliers and that drives the prices down. Just a theory.

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
The vast majority of items are cheaper in the US than in the UK. Its only food seems to be about the same price these days.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The vast majority of items are cheaper in the US than in the UK. Its only food seems to be about the same price these days.
The bulk of that is just VAT. I order most of my bicycle parts from the UK because your prices have near parity with ours but once I take off VAT, I'm getting a 20% discount. Of course this only works my direction, our prices are pre-tax.