GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Talk me into (or out of) a DSG tune...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
All of these testimonials make it tempting, but it seems like everyone who has their TCU tuned says it's a transformation because they don't use the paddles. I ONLY use the paddles so I feel like I wouldn't really feel any transformation. Maybe not worth the money? I'll wait until EQT has a tune available for 7 speeds and see what they're charging.

The only benefit you'd see is the ability to hold more torque, which will stop your DSG from slipping (and degrading) under heavy boost.

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
The only benefit you'd see is the ability to hold more torque, which will stop your DSG from slipping (and degrading) under heavy boost.

Yup someone mentioned that earlier but nobody has elaborated what the probability of that is. I haven't experienced any sort of slip being EQT OTS stage 2 (RPM not matching speed/acceleration, right? Like clutch slip in 6mt?) but I'm not sure if it's something that's inevitable or what. EQT never mentions TCU tune as a prerequisite for ECU tunes.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I ONLY use the paddles
Because with your ECU tune you really HAVE to. D is practically unusable. There was a time when I only used them too. It’s nice to kick back, relax and not worry about hitting every shift point sometimes and let the DSG do its job. When I want to really drive, into M it goes.

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
Because with your ECU tune you really HAVE to. D is practically unusable. There was a time when I only used them too. It’s nice to kick back, relax and not worry about hitting every shift point sometimes and let the DSG do its job. When I want to really drive, into M it goes.

That may be so, I haven't tried D just because I'm not interested.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i love the DSG tune on my MK6 - sure it's all already been mentioned but higher redline, more aggressive & smoother shifts, better sport and normal mode, and of course the ability to hold more torque - why would anyone debate this?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
That may be so, I haven't tried D just because I'm not interested.
I don’t know if it was placebo effect, but it does feel like the clutch grabs the gear stronger than it did before I tuned the DSG. I never experienced slip before it, but I doubt ~420ft/lbs is beyond the capabilities of the dq250.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don’t know if it was placebo effect, but it does feel like the clutch grabs the gear stronger than it did before I tuned the DSG. I never experienced slip before it, but I doubt ~420ft/lbs is beyond the capabilities of the dq250.

It isn't so far on mine.

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
Something else youll benefit from with driving in manual all the time - cant you select within the tune or have the tune set up to force the car to not downshift or upshift for you?
Yes and that would be awesome! But is it worth that much money?? Maybe, just maybe. Though right now I don't have the option of deciding since only Cobb is available for 7sp.

SVTunit

Ready to race!
OK, just started researching DSG tunes some hopefully this is not too dumb of a question. I currently have a JB4 (stage 1) controlling my ECU. Can I just order the EQT DSG flash upgrade by itself:
https://eqtuning.com/collections/vw-audi/products/cobb-accessport-mk7-dsg-flashing-upgrade . Does it come with the Accessport V3 or do I also have to order the Cobb ECU tune (that I won't use)? Basically I'm asking is to get the EQT DSG tune loaded on my car is it only is it going to cost me $400 or $1075? Thanks for the clarification.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
OK, just started researching DSG tunes some hopefully this is not too dumb of a question. I currently have a JB4 (stage 1) controlling my ECU. Can I just order the EQT DSG flash upgrade by itself:
https://eqtuning.com/collections/vw-audi/products/cobb-accessport-mk7-dsg-flashing-upgrade . Does it come with the Accessport V3 or do I also have to order the Cobb ECU tune (that I won't use)? Basically I'm asking is to get the EQT DSG tune loaded on my car is it only is it going to cost me $400 or $1075? Thanks for the clarification.

To load a Cobb based DSG file you need 1) Cobb AP 2) Cobb AP DSG authorization 3) Cobb AP compatible DSG tune

FST_NML

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI S DSG LP/PP
To load a Cobb based DSG file you need 1) Cobb AP 2) Cobb AP DSG authorization 3) Cobb AP compatible DSG tune

And to add on to this, yes it will cost you the $1075, but with the current EQT promotion that will include one EQT OTS tune of your choice and the EQT DSG tune. You're going to lose your warranty by marrying the AP to your car, might as well use the tunes that come with it if you're spending that much money :)

Mk75gti

Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI SE
I agree. I would think $400 would be a drop in the bucket compared to having to replace your clutch packs. I was also under the impression that Ed’s DSG Tune was far smoother than stock even in drive mode.
I have a 2019 mk7.5 se with an intake and maperfomance downpipe. I really want to go stage 2 with equilibrium tuning, but I dont want to mess my clutch up. So is the dsg tune for stage 2 absolutely necessary?