GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whining & Grinding during acceleration

Paulym_89

Hi Guys,

Bit of a noob at forums, so please excuse if this question has been asked before. (I couldn't seem to find any similar issue in the search)

I have a '06 GTI, 6 speed manual and have just had a decent service done on the car. It has seen it's fair share of Km's (244,513 Kms to be precise) and once I got the car back from it's service, there's now a whining and grinding on both acceleration and deceleration in 2nd gear and 6th. It seems that it's not there in 3rd through 5th, however I have my suspicion its just not noticeable yet. A small independent mechanic next to my building reckons it could be the gear selection linkage? And that they just need to put a thicker Oil in to make the noise less noticeable. That doesn't sound very reassuring to me as I want the issue resolved, not gagged just so I don't hear it. The whining sounds a little like a supercharger and the grinding sounds like metal filaments grinding and being tossed about.

Has anyone had a similar issue or an idea of what it might be?

vwengineer

Ready to race!
You could try to adjust the linkage between shifter and gearbox, maybe it's a bit off? How is the gear selection, any resistance when warm? You can replace the oil yourself, it's easy to do, however you should get the oil from the dealer because its the only one that will give you smooth shifting.

Thicker oil will make shifting harder, especially when cold, not a good idea in my opinion.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Hi Guys,

Bit of a noob at forums, so please excuse if this question has been asked before. (I couldn't seem to find any similar issue in the search)

I have a '06 GTI, 6 speed manual and have just had a decent service done on the car. It has seen it's fair share of Km's (244,513 Kms to be precise) and once I got the car back from it's service, there's now a whining and grinding on both acceleration and deceleration in 2nd gear and 6th. It seems that it's not there in 3rd through 5th, however I have my suspicion its just not noticeable yet. A small independent mechanic next to my building reckons it could be the gear selection linkage? And that they just need to put a thicker Oil in to make the noise less noticeable. That doesn't sound very reassuring to me as I want the issue resolved, not gagged just so I don't hear it. The whining sounds a little like a supercharger and the grinding sounds like metal filaments grinding and being tossed about.

Has anyone had a similar issue or an idea of what it might be?

What was the service that was done on this car recently?