GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any cure for sensitive brakes?

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Since I installed the Brembo 328mm 4 piston brakes the brake pedal is very sensitive. To give you an idea I rarely need any more pressure on the brake pedal than I do to press the accelerator. I think I already adjusted Brake Assist in VAG-COM. Is there any way to reduce the vacuum boost? Maybe pads that don't have as much initial bite?

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Ability to absorb more energy, less brake fade, etc on track days but I wish the pedal had a more progressive feel. I've been doing some reading and it sounds like it's the brake compound. I might swap them out for something with less initial bite. I talked to Porterfield and they recommend their R4-S pads.

Another thing I've thought about is disconnecting or reducing the vacuum to the booster.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
I adjusted the Brake Assist setting in VAG-Com today. It was set to hard so I turned down to small. We’ll see what effect it has.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Just swap pads to something less aggressive. What pads are you running? You are not going to be able to dial it out.
You need to have 2 sets of pads, one for track, one for street. I run GLoc 16/10 f/r for track and Hawk HPS 5.0 for street with my Brembos

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Those are street pads, should be ok but if you find the initial bite too much go with a ceramic pad.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
The Brembo pads were done after the track day on Thursday. I had been researching pads for a while and found out that the Brembo GT calipers come stock on the rear of the 2011 Camaro SS. I decided to try a set of set of Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads from O’Reilly Auto Parts. I read a few reviews and they seem to be what I want, moderate initial bite, progressive feel, and consistent friction throughout their operating range. They make track pads that are compatible with these pads too. I turned the rotors on my lathe and installed the pads this morning. I did a quick drive to bed the pads and I was able to get the ABS to kick in.

Attachments

• 79A95AE2-A977-42A9-9649-125D174D0F1A.jpeg
    79A95AE2-A977-42A9-9649-125D174D0F1A.jpeg
    726.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 09522381-C512-43EF-8951-FCB98D5F2B20.jpeg
    09522381-C512-43EF-8951-FCB98D5F2B20.jpeg
    991.7 KB · Views: 88

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
I was out of town for most of last week. I got back on Friday and put some miles on the car over the weekend. The PFC pads are exactly what I was looking for. They are much easier to modulate but still have enough braking power to kick the ABS in if I try to.