GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by Toothscraper

1. T

Where is the faulty plug/socket?

So, I get my 07 GTI detailed and the engine looks really nice. All good but now the passenger door will not lock via any switch or remote and the window switch does not work from either of the two doors. I conclude I have a loose connection and hope it is in the engine bay if that is where the...
  2. T

DTC code scanner recommendation sought

I want to stay under $100 for a good scanner for 2007 and later VW. Do not need to program but OK if it does. Want to get a DTC and a brief description as a minimum. Could use a laptop but only if it gives a lot better result. Hand held is otherwise assumed to be the norm. Anyone used the Mini...
  3. T

MAF sensor cleaning: the one in the 2.0 TSi

I have codes that could be fixed with a cleaning and I see a lot of posts that say to clean the MAF sensor but none describe the device itself. My sensor has the >PBT GF40< marking, nothing more. On my 2007 2.0 TSI, the sensor comes out with two screws. It is about 2 inches long, 1 inch wide...
  4. T

HID Headlight lamp replacement DIY?

So, my right side HID lamp turned a rose shade vs. white. I assume it will fail so I looked under the hood and found no obvious way to get to the bulb. I removed the 4 inch cap to reveal some tronix but decided to put it back. Any DIY out there? I hate to just start to remove stuff to gain...
  5. T

Airbag Fault on Mk V

Out of the blue, the display and audio beep announces 'Airbag Fault!'. Indicator on the speedo display comes on and stays on. No impact, no deployment and now that I am at 50,800 miles, no warranty. Anyone with experience on this? Before I go to the shop, it would be nice o have an idea or two.
  6. T

Which plain front rotors?

I have opted out of drilled and/or slots im my replacement rotors. For now, anyway. So, does it matter who makes the plain 'OEM replacements'? Zimmermann, Brembo, Dealer's. Any others to consider? HPS pads are ready for the new rotors. Tnx.
  7. T

Bra for 07 MK V with aero kit

Anyone know if a bra for the standard trim fits the same as a GTI with the ground effects kit? Colgan does not seem to know for sure and can only supply an image of a Jetta. The bra will get used in rainy weather when the highway I have to drive gets a lot of gravel washed down the...
  8. T

Mystery front end thumping

I need help identifying the source of a ‘thump/bump’ noise my 07 GTI makes. It seems to come from the front of the car and can’t be certain to be distinctly left or right side. It can be a single thump but most often I get 3 to 5 of these in rapid succession, in about a 1 to 2-second period...