Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Too much for a Golf.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
CSB time.

Everyone bitching about the $82k Golf R 333 seemed to be making a decent point until I built a Golf R on the German VW website.

Base Mk8 Golf R starts at €55k. A fully optioned Mk8 R will run you €76k.

€76k converted straight to USD? $81,975.
Except we don't live in Germany.

I went ahead and configured the most expensive Golf R you can buy today and selected EVERY option. Total price for a fully, FULLY, FULLY loaded 20th Annivery DSG Golf R with a roof rack, a bike holder, snow board holder, two roof boxes, a kayak holder, the $200 dynamic mirror lights and the $200 dynamic center caps in both VW emblem and R emblem?

$51,706...including destination charge of $1,100.

So yes, 82k for a golf R is cuckoo bananas

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo

I went ahead and configured the most expensive Golf R you can buy today and selected EVERY option. Total price for a fully, FULLY, FULLY loaded 20th Annivery DSG Golf R with a roof rack, a bike holder, snow board holder, two roof boxes, a kayak holder, the $200 dynamic mirror lights and the $200 dynamic center caps in both VW emblem and R emblem?

I know we don't, but the 333 was only available in the German market so it's appropriate to compare it to that!

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
It looks like the only thing of any value you get on the 333 R is the akrapovic exhaust. Every other thing they've done to it has an insignificant cost.

I like how right now my audi dealer has had one of those 1 of 75 RS e-tron GTs in stock for about a month. I think it's got about a $25k price increase compared to the standard rs e-tron. Meanwhile the R8 GT which has a $100k price difference over the normal R8 sold out before they started building any of them.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude

too much for a golf with a DSG

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Economics is weird.
Different markets and such.

Your reasoning is also why the Phaeton failed here lol.
Don't get me wrong, the Phaeton is a cool car, but unfortunately cool cars don't sell high volume. I'm thankful that we at least get decently neat stuff, but car companies are trying to make money. I don't like it, but I recognize it. The other problem is the middle class drying up quickly -- less and less is there excess income widely available for folks to have multiple vehicles, so lots of people are buying one SUV because it'll cover them in the event that they might decide to bring a TV home from the store at some point in the next 300 years, or if they might want to sit their imaginary child's whole highschool reunion into their car at some point.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
A Golf R is still roughly the same price, you just managed to add 18K in options! 4,200 of which is a "performance exhaust" which if I'm not mistaken is an akrapovic exhaust.

That 58K number is inclusive of tax, so it's roughly the same price as here in the US, we just advertise prices without tax for idiotic reasons I'm sure.

1686246077100.png

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Even the Camaro is going away.

The sheep control the market and they want SUVs and huge trucks.
I even see way more police in SUVs than cars. Anytime I see a cop car it's usually just one of those old retired guys volunteering, civilian support units or whatever they're calling them these days.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Even the Camaro is going away.

The sheep control the market and they want SUVs and huge trucks.
But people do want muscle cars, the mustang and Challenger still sell like crazy. I've never understood how/why the mustang sells so much better. I realize I might be biased as a Camaro owner, but I just don't get it. Looks are subjective, but I'll give the mustang the edge there and visibility in the mustang is better, but literally everything else about the Camaro has been better for years. Better chassis, better transmissions, better interior, etc. Plus the huge price difference - accounting for mark ups / discounts, my ZL1 was the same price as a well optioned mustang gt (I got quotes on both).

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
But people do want muscle cars, the mustang and Challenger still sell like crazy. I've never understood how/why the mustang sells so much better. I realize I might be biased as a Camaro owner, but I just don't get it. Looks are subjective, but I'll give the mustang the edge there and visibility in the mustang is better, but literally everything else about the Camaro has been better for years. Better chassis, better transmissions, better interior, etc. Plus the huge price difference - accounting for mark ups / discounts, my ZL1 was the same price as a well optioned mustang gt (I got quotes on both).
Mustangs take out crowds of bystanders at C&C much more efficiently than a camaro

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
One of the youtubers I watch for computer stuff has a 2nd channel about his cars he sometimes does videos for. It's surprising how well the camaro does on a track. He got rid of it for a R8 though, and I think he got like a RS7 or something too.