GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Chris Farley is my spirit animal
1650933881561.png

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
fantastic! what were you doing, and what will you be doing?
I’ve only ever done one thing, retail. Ever since I started working. I actually worked at Google once for about ten months, but it was for their same day delivery program, so still essentially retail.

I’m going back to a movie theater though. I worked at one several years ago and still talk about how it was my favorite job ever. Should have never left. I’ll be starting out in management this time though. Hopefully one day have my own theater.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Anyone have eyes on @jimlloyd40 recently? Do we need to implement some kind of weekly check-in?

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
What’s more important to you, enjoying your time at work or enjoying your time outside of work?

Would you rather hate your job, but have a great schedule (8-4 M-F) and a lot of PTO? Or love your job but have a shitty schedule (1-9 select weekends) and not a lot of PTO?

Id go great schedule/pto and hating the actual job. You're there for money, not to enjoy yourself.

I don't think I could work a job I actually, actively hate. Like, something I dread doing every morning. In that scenario, I'd have great PTO and a regular schedule, etc. etc., but I'd spend a good chunk of my free time just mentally recovering from hating my life half of the time.

I've only had a couple of jobs I've genuinely liked. As well as a couple I've genuinely hated. And plenty of just meh. I don't mind meh so much. Right now, my job teeters between meh and awesome, just depends on the day. I do fairly different things each day, so that can be fun.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
I don't think I could work a job I actually, actively hate. Like, something I dread doing every morning. In that scenario, I'd have great PTO and a regular schedule, etc. etc., but I'd spend a good chunk of my free time just mentally recovering from hating my life half of the time.

I've only had a couple of jobs I've genuinely liked. As well as a couple I've genuinely hated. And plenty of just meh. I don't mind meh so much. Right now, my job teeters between meh and awesome, just depends on the day. I do fairly different things each day, so that can be fun.
I’m currently in retail and I’m lucky enough to work retail, but also work M-F from 8-4. I get five weeks of PTO and also one week of sick time. I have top tier health insurance with only a $500 deductible, and 90/10 coinsurance for $50 per pay. My company matches my 401k 100% up to 5%. I just don’t like the job though. Eventually you get to a point where all that shit just doesn’t matter anymore. Forty hours a week is a long time mentally to be disliking what you’re doing.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
What’s more important to you, enjoying your time at work or enjoying your time outside of work?

Would you rather hate your job, but have a great schedule (8-4 M-F) and a lot of PTO? Or love your job but have a shitty schedule (1-9 select weekends) and not a lot of PTO?
First option. They pay you to work not have fun.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
First option. They pay you to work not have fun.
You can always have fun while working.

The way I see it, I spend 40 hours a week working, and maybe spend 40-50 hours a week doing other things (sleeping excluded). I don’t want only 50% of my time alive to be enjoyable.

Last edited:

cb1111

I’ve only ever done one thing, retail. Ever since I started working. I actually worked at Google once for about ten months, but it was for their same day delivery program, so still essentially retail.

I’m going back to a movie theater though. I worked at one several years ago and still talk about how it was my favorite job ever. Should have never left. I’ll be starting out in management this time though. Hopefully one day have my own theater.
Retail will suck the life out of you. I started in retail and couldn't wait to get out. I escaped to the legal office and it was all uphill from there.

there are still a couple of remnants that stick with me 30 some years later - not taking lunch breaks and when I do take a break, I suck it down in 5 minutes - even Sunday dinners with the family.

I was a projectionist in high school - that was fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.