GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel question - Stock w/ Spacer vs Wider Aftermarket

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Wheel spacers do not accelerate the wear any more than a wheel with a lower offset. It's the wheel being moved farther out that could create the extra load on the bearings. The wheel bearing does not know the difference between a 20mm wheel spacer and a wheel that has a 20mm lower offset.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Always Option #2 in my book.

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Same wheels as OP, and I’m on 20mm fronts and 25mm backs....

That color on your GTI is so sick. I wish they had that option for 18 GTI SE!

Not sure why but 20/25mm looks sweet on your car and not pokey at all. I think with the austin and dallas wheels it looks too pokey with 15/20mm.

ggweci

Go Kart Newbie
Wheel spacers do not accelerate the wear any more than a wheel with a lower offset. It's the wheel being moved farther out that could create the extra load on the bearings. The wheel bearing does not know the difference between a 20mm wheel spacer and a wheel that has a 20mm lower offset.

Thanks for this info. It seems odd to me though, since everyone seems to list premature bearing wear as one of the cons of using a spacer. If wheels with a lower offset have the same impact, why isn’t anyone concerned with bearings when adding them?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks for this info. It seems odd to me though, since everyone seems to list premature bearing wear as one of the cons of using a spacer. If wheels with a lower offset have the same impact, why isn’t anyone concerned with bearings when adding them?

Because it’s a common ol wives tail.

I have 78,500 mile on my car, been running 5mm F / 12mm R spacers basically the whole time with zero issues.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
That color on your GTI is so sick. I wish they had that option for 18 GTI SE!

Not sure why but 20/25mm looks sweet on your car and not pokey at all. I think with the austin and dallas wheels it looks too pokey with 15/20mm.

Thanks! Yeah, I got the typical flush kit first and was surprised how much room there still was, even now it’s not fully “flush” maybe these wheels have a higher offset

ggweci

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks! Yeah, I got the typical flush kit first and was surprised how much room there still was, even now it’s not fully “flush” maybe these wheels have a higher offset

The OEM Pretorias do have a slightly higher offset. They are ET51.

Going back to my original topic, I am leaning towards going spacers for two reasons: 1) Cost :D and 2) I really like the idea of going OEM+.

I love the Pretoria design and the "look" of the Rabbit overall - trying not to mess with that for now. I just lowered the car with an Eibach ProKit and the spacers help fill out the wheel well. Once the OEM tires need replacing, I will look at all options again then.

Thanks for all the input.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
@El_bigote_AJ are you lowered in these pics? If so, what springs?
Yes, Spulen “competition” springs, I’m on different taller tires now since those pics.
actually taking them off soon as I’m going airride within the next month.

2376795B-D5CF-4266-8B21-493E2B38FF0D.jpeg
96CD0E93-C383-4AA3-BBC7-C6D219762EA2.jpeg

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
I really like the Pretorias though - does anyone know the official weight of the 18" version? I may have to take them off and weigh them myself, but deducting the stock Bridgestone weight.
I weighed the factory 18" Pretorias with the stock Bridgestones, then the Bridgestones only, with about 2000 miles on them after I had Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S mounted on my Pretorias.

Weight of tire and wheel: 45.4 lbs
Weight of tire: 22 lbs

While Bridgestone lists the weight at 25 lbs, Tirerack's measurement of 22 lbs was accurate for me. Maybe it it weighs more than 25 lbs, Bridgestone considers it out of spec.

That gives us a weight of just under 23.5 lbs for the OE 18x7.5" Pretoria, maybe 23.25 subtracting the weight of the stem and wheel weights. IMO, that's fairly typical (and maybe even on the light side) for a low pressure cast OEM wheel that's generally going to err on the side of durability. My 18x7" Gen 1 Mazdaspeed3 wheels were 24 lbs, the Gen 2 18x7.5" were 25 lbs each.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I have Prets on my 19 Autobahn and your setup look great. Any reason not to go 25mm front and back? Any rub on your setup? Also, are you on lowering springs? I have no plans to lower.
That first picture… yes I was on Lowering springs, with the oem 225 tires - 25mm spacers in the front with those wheels and tires would deff rub… I swapped the tires to a 235/40 after those first picture and had to drop down to a 15mm in the front and 20mm in the rear as they rubbed very aggressive (Burnt rubber type of rubbing lol)

Funny enough… my fitment today is yet again exponentially different now 😂😂

30E0FC46-424D-4F20-A8B1-B02578025325.jpeg

Cosmic Heretic

Car(s)
2019 GTI Autobahn
That first picture… yes I was on Lowering springs, with the oem 225 tires - 25mm spacers in the front with those wheels and tires would deff rub… I swapped the tires to a 235/40 after those first picture and had to drop down to a 15mm in the front and 20mm in the rear as they rubbed very aggressive (Burnt rubber type of rubbing lol)

Funny enough… my fitment today is yet again exponentially different now 😂😂

View attachment 216467
So 20mm in the front didn't rub on your lowered prets? How about the rear on the 25's? Just trying to decide if I should do 15 or 20 front and 20 or 25 rear given I plan to keep everything else stock?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
So 20mm in the front didn't rub on your lowered prets? How about the rear on the 25's? Just trying to decide if I should do 15 or 20 front and 20 or 25 rear given I plan to keep everything else stock?
Stock 225 tire, no rubbing other that front fender screw on hard bumps, but that was lowered. Stock you’ll be clear.