GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... Economy So Strong That eBay Hard Up For Business

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Cuomo is accused of things like:

Unwanted kisses on the cheek.

Putting his hands on a woman's shoulders.

Putting his arm around a woman's waist for a photo.

Cupping a woman's face with 2 hands.

Creep-like stuff in this day and age for sure. It's a far cry from what Gaetz is accused of however.

Also, if you have supported the Great 🍊 at anytime you have forfeited the right to criticize anyone else for how they treat women.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
So I have a scamdemic gripe - maybe this can get some better discussion going than zrick's morning crop dusting of the thread.

My wife is a nurse at BCH in oncology and has basically all nurse or PA/Medical friends. She was pregnant at the start of the pandemic and was working the entire time through up until the fall when the baby arrived. Shortly after she returned she was able to get the vaccine.

Through the entire time all these nurses and doctors went to work and didn't complain [too much] and put themselves at risk to help people. I know this first hand from many nurses who had kids at home and elderly parents and risk factors themselves.

Teachers on the other hand decided they were too at risk to get the kids back in school and they were too entitled to their own personal safety to do their jobs.

I normally would NEVER say a word to criticize this because on the face of it, they have the right to protect their personal safety.

-BUT-

Now we are seeing a dire crisis of mental health issues in children! My wife's hospital is literally OVER RUN with children who are suicidal or having other severe mental issues due to the isolation of the pandemic. Her ONCOLOGY floor has multiple PSYCH patients because they have so many they literally do not have enough space for them.

So did nobody see this coming? I don't think so... you could argue that people didn't know how bad it would be....

If there is this big of a crisis with children who need 24hr supervision on suicide watch, there must be an absolutely massive crisis of lesser mental health issues primarily stemming from the fact that the people involved in the schooling (government, teachers, etc.) wussed out and didn't prioritize the people they are in charge of caring for as their profession.

cb1111

So I have a scamdemic gripe - maybe this can get some better discussion going than zrick's morning crop dusting of the thread.

My wife is a nurse at BCH in oncology and has basically all nurse or PA/Medical friends. She was pregnant at the start of the pandemic and was working the entire time through up until the fall when the baby arrived. Shortly after she returned she was able to get the vaccine.

Through the entire time all these nurses and doctors went to work and didn't complain [too much] and put themselves at risk to help people. I know this first hand from many nurses who had kids at home and elderly parents and risk factors themselves.

Teachers on the other hand decided they were too at risk to get the kids back in school and they were too entitled to their own personal safety to do their jobs.

I normally would NEVER say a word to criticize this because on the face of it, they have the right to protect their personal safety.

-BUT-

Now we are seeing a dire crisis of mental health issues in children! My wife's hospital is literally OVER RUN with children who are suicidal or having other severe mental issues due to the isolation of the pandemic. Her ONCOLOGY floor has multiple PSYCH patients because they have so many they literally do not have enough space for them.

So did nobody see this coming? I don't think so... you could argue that people didn't know how bad it would be....

If there is this big of a crisis with children who need 24hr supervision on suicide watch, there must be an absolutely massive crisis of lesser mental health issues primarily stemming from the fact that the people involved in the schooling (government, teachers, etc.) wussed out and didn't prioritize the people they are in charge of caring for as their profession.
This is the wrong foru to raise this because it'll turn into an all out brawl for no good reason - but ....

You raised two separate and distinct issues:

First - the differences between medical staff and teacher. Pre pandemic, medical personnel were aware of the dangers of their profession and accepted those risks - teachers weren't facing those risks. In addition, medical personnel know how to best protect themselves from known and unknown hazards.

As an emergency manager, I'm "on duty" 24/7, have lousy working conditions, long hours and so forth - others don't understand and I wouldn't expect them to.

Your second question is far more difficult to answer - how do you address the mental health issues coming out of the massive changes resulting from COVID. Opening the schools and thinking "all is well now" isn't the full solution.

While I understand the issue and the desire to get "back to normal", Europe has seen a drastic increase in hospitalizations (including ICU admissions and fatalities) in 9 - 15 year old kids, so perhaps some definitive study needs to be conducted on how to return to schools - doing this on a state by state basis is a bad idea - there needs to be some fact based Federal guidance on this that is transparent and explained in a way that people can understand it.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I would say (based on knowing teachers) that they are fully aware one of their job risks is contracting contagious disease.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
contagious yes, but not with a 1-2% mortality rate. On the other hand cashiers were unexpectedly thrown into a front line worker status which is def. something that no one saw coming.

I don't believe there is a perfect answer and each person has a best for them solution.

cb1111

I would say (based on knowing teachers) that they are fully aware one of their job risks is contracting contagious disease.
Medical professionals are aware that they WILL be exposed to potentially deadly illnesses, while teaches (all this pre-pandemic) knew that they had a higher likelihood of being exposed to the common cold, stomach bugs and the like.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Zrickety, you can quote this as "evidence", because it's on the internet.
That's what they want you to think.
The truth sounds crazy enough that no one will believe it.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Too bad it's not on Twitter. @cb1111 should tweet it, then post a picture of the tweet here. Everybody knows that is what makes it irrefutable evidence.
You laugh but that's how they got FISA warrants...yahoo news quotes some other fake news, and it's taken as gospel. Aka the Steele Dossier.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI

-BUT-

I actually agree with you 100%, and I probably made mention of this last year.
The kids are very, very low risk, barely sick a day if they have any symptoms at all. The few studies that followed kids and teachers in school said there is no risk. On the other hand, lockdown and 'distance learning' have had a negative impact on families and definitely the mental health of both young and old. Suicides and drug overdoses are WAY up.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I will add that the private school here has been open since August. They do temperature checks in the morning, and masks between classes. Teachers wearing face shields. They send an email when a kid in your child's grade has been exposed...I have seen maybe a half dozen between 2 grades. Everybody came back healthy. None of the teachers have been out. Food for thought.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
While I understand the issue and the desire to get "back to normal", Europe has seen a drastic increase in hospitalizations (including ICU admissions and fatalities) in 9 - 15 year old kids, so perhaps some definitive study needs to be conducted on how to return to schools - doing this on a state by state basis is a bad idea - there needs to be some fact based Federal guidance on this that is transparent and explained in a way that people can understand it.
If this age group didn't get hospitalized last year, in the first 3 waves, I would ask you to do some critical thinking.
Maybe the masks are making them sick? Bacterial pneumonia, fungal infections. Maybe indirectly weakening their immune system?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
If this age group didn't get hospitalized last year, in the first 3 waves, I would ask you to do some critical thinking.
Maybe the masks are making them sick? Bacterial pneumonia, fungal infections. Maybe indirectly weakening their immune system?
Or they're just nasty ass people who would of ended up with Strep because they have a finger up their nose all the time.

I mean, Zrick is here telling us the entire field of medical sanitation is wrong. No need to perform personal hygiene, it's normal to die from basic and preventable disease in your prime - Just like nature intended.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Private schools here have been open too with little to no issues.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Or they're just nasty ass people who would of ended up with Strep because they have a finger up their nose all the time.

I mean, Zrick is here telling us the entire field of medical sanitation is wrong. No need to perform personal hygiene, it's normal to die from basic and preventable disease in your prime - Just like nature intended.
That's not what I'm saying. All things being equal, that age group should have been hospitalized last year and they weren't. Logical thinking.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
1617811541536.png