GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My TPC20 Turbo Build... NOW TPC38BB Build

Hoon

Autocross Champion
care to give a detailed list of this pattern?

No I don't. Ask around, you'll see this isn't an isolated incident. These aren't very popular turbos and I know of several that have failed with minimal use/abuse.

Sorry you made the wrong turbo choice. I've been there...

Doesn't spool as well as a Vortex, doesn't make as much power and isn't as reliable.

Reasons to own = 0.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
No I don't. Ask around, you'll see this isn't an isolated incident. These aren't very popular turbos and I know of several that have failed with minimal use/abuse.

Sorry you made the wrong turbo choice. I've been there...

Doesn't spool as well as a Vortex, doesn't make as much power and isn't as reliable.

Reasons to own = 0.
So you are saying vortex has ZERO reliablity issues. Again, please give a detailed list of these failures.
Out of all the turbos sold i am aware of 2 failures including this one.

RTFM

Ready to race!
So you are saying vortex has ZERO reliablity issues. Again, please give a detailed list of these failures.
Out of all the turbos sold i am aware of 2 failures including this one.
There were one issue with a couple of the EQTs in the first batch, but they have all been straightened out. I haven’t heard of any blown ones. This isn’t the first or second blown TPC I have seen.

RTFM

Ready to race!
I am aware of 3 now and I'm not even on FB. That said, none of the hybrids are bulletproof. We get what we pay for.
I have seen 1 on FB in addition to the 3 here, but the 1 on FB didn’t have a pic, so it very well could have been overlap

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
There were one issue with a couple of the EQTs in the first batch, but they have all been straightened out. I haven’t heard of any blown ones. This isn’t the first or second blown TPC I have seen.

EQT 's current turbo is fine. But there was a point where there was so many problems they stopped selling them temporarily and elicited Littco' s help with the bearing failures. All turbos have a certain failure rate. Probably none as bad as the OEM IS38.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
We should all know that not one is bullet proof. Pretty much everything fails sooner or later and at some point.

With that said, anybody know what's the most whp you can get from these TPC20 turbo's? I have some kid trying to tell me that his TPC20, on an E60 mix, is making 470 whp and I called bullshit and for him to show me a video of his dyno pull.

Navi

Autocross Champion
who said the oem is38 is so bad. You have to keep it all in perspective. The number of failed is38 divided by total is38 in existence is far less than any hybrid turbo failure rate

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
We should all know that not one is bullet proof. Pretty much everything fails sooner or later and at some point.

With that said, anybody know what's the most whp you can get from these TPC20 turbo's? I have some kid trying to tell me that his TPC20, on an E60 mix, is making 470 whp and I called bullshit and for him to show me a video of his dyno pull.
Dyno's can be all over the place. Ask for some 60-130 Dragy numbers. That will be a better indicator of what power it makes.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R

Why is that bullshit, check the tpc site for dyno results. they made 478whp on ms109 at 29psi with 9 degrees of timing. I was there that day and saw this with my own eyes. all on stock fuel system and stock map sensors.
sneeky is running some with upgraded fuel system and map sensors. i guarantee they are making 500+ whp

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
EQT 's current turbo is fine. But there was a point where there was so many problems they stopped selling them temporarily and elicited Littco' s help with the bearing failures. All turbos have a certain failure rate. Probably none as bad as the OEM IS38.

And Ed sent each and every individual with early failures a new turbo. Even those that had a failure that was due to installation error. Been reading through the the entire original EQT Vortex thread while waiting for my DV to arrive so the install can be finished.