GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking about trading 2017 Civic Si for new GTI

galaxy

I am from 09 Si and have 06 GTI manual now, both stock without mods.
I only missed the v-Tech (WOW) kick-in at high rev in Si, especially you downshift to bring up the rev for top power, and the feeling of sudden pulling. it was fun, but I guess 17 Si does not have the v-tech. Heel-toe is easier. I drove 2 door that I can only fit one hockey bag in the trunk .
I like GTI higher torque for faster start-up and lower rev to gain the top power for steady and smooth acceleration. It is comfortable ride. You feel it more sturdy comparing to Si on highway . I can fit two hockey bags with flip down the back seats.

thegman1234

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7.5 Golf SE
Appreciate that! Our hockey carpool is 3 guys, 3 hockey bags, and 6 sticks. In the Civic we do two bags in the trunk, one in the backseat, and then sticks running from the back seat into the passenger footwell...

I’ve got some experience here, so I’ll chime in.

I recently traded in my MK6.5 Jetta for a MK7.5 Golf and I absolutely love it. I‘ve had a Beetle and a couple Jettas over the years and I loved those cars, but I’ve always wanted a true hatchback. However, going from a sedan to a hatchback, there’s a noticeable change in cargo management. Although the Golf/GTI has significantly more vertical cargo space, it’s noticeably more narrow and shallow when compared to a something like a Jetta. And, while you‘ll likely have no trouble with the bags as the seats split 60/40, the Golf is fairly short so you may have some trouble with the sticks.

It’s been ages since I’ve played hockey (bad left knee) but, in my MK5 Jetta, I used to be able to fit 3 bags in the trunk and pop the sticks inside the car at an angle. I’m a tall guy (I’ve had guys complain about my stick length, likened to Chara but with a MUCH worse slap shot) and I’m not confident I’d be able to get my stick in there without having to drive it through the hatch and wedge into the passenger footwell. I’d definitely be concerned about scratching dashboard panels and such.

Honestly, a Jetta/GLI may be more practical for you. I do believe it would suit your cargo needs better. Plus, the lease incentives tend to be better on the Jetta/GLI. Or, if you’re dead set on a hatchback, then the SportWagen may be a good option.

To address some of your other concerns:
  • The car is awfully fun to drive. I went with a 1.4T SE over a GTI. Cost and MPG were prohibitive for me when it came to the GTI. Even so, the 1.4T is pretty peppy with a 6MT and the car handles really well. MPG is great and I often get better than the 37 MPG highway that it’s rated for. I can only imagine that a GTI is THAT much better.
  • The car is very comfortable, in my opinion, and the model I have has lumbar support in both front seats.
  • I have no experience with the DSG as all of my VW’s have been manual. But, they’re extremely smooth and very easy to drive. I’ve never driven a Civic with a clutch but if it’s anything like my wife’s Crosstrek, you’ll have a much better time driving stick in a VW... even in traffic.
  • The infotainment system is pretty good. I have the 8-inch display and mostly use CarPlay but the factory system is definitely better than others that I’ve used in the past.
  • Everyone is different but I’m very happy with the sound system.
  • I find the visibility to be great. Especially with the wide windshield on the hatch.
  • I can‘t compare to the Civic but I’m happy with the tech in my car. The Driver’s Assistance Package is nice and I’ve always appreciated the finer details of a VW. Even simple things like the window and light switches feel well thought out. Their cars have a better fit & finish to them, compared to other cars in their class, in my opinion.
  • The rear camera is hidden under the rear emblem so it should stay pretty clean. Mine has, so far, through a messy (albeit mostly snowless) New York winter.
Hope this helps!

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Cars aren't an investment strategy.

There are a lot of cases where leasing makes sense, and cases when it doesn't. Blanket statements are silly.

I agree with you. I personally tend not to be a fan of leasing anything, but I'd rather lease a car than rent.

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
Well if you're okay with always having a car payment go for it. When you get near retirement age and wonder where your money went you'll know. Unless you get rich somehow but not likely with that investment strategy.

That's relative to what your income is. A $400/mo payment is nothing for someone making $100k+, not so much for someone making $40k.

Despite what Dave Ramsey says, leases do make sense for some people.

chrisk03

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI-AB DSG
From a FINANCIAL standpoint, leasing almost never makes sense unless you own your own business. That said, it's your money, do with it what you want.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
If one feels affordability is calculated by week or by month, I suppose leasing can make sense to them.

I tend to think affordability by owning it in whole with title in hand.

While the GTI is a good car (I owned a 16 Autobahn with DSG) I still think MT is the way to go on these sport compacts. Especially if coming from a Civic CoupeSi, I would keep the Civic. If DSG is the choice, I'd go for S3 or something Audi.. but that is just me and we're not talking about a car for me so.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Cars aren't an investment strategy.

There are a lot of cases where leasing makes sense, and cases when it doesn't. Blanket statements are silly.

Sorry but I beg to differ. The investment isn't in the car. The investment is wise spending on things that go down in value. From a financial perspective leasing is the most expensive way to purchase a car. Ask any smart accountant.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's relative to what your income is. A $400/mo payment is nothing for someone making $100k+, not so much for someone making $40k.

Despite what Dave Ramsey says, leases do make sense for some people.

Dave Ramsey is rich and you're not so I'll stick with his advise.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
From a FINANCIAL standpoint, leasing almost never makes sense unless you own your own business. That said, it's your money, do with it what you want.

I can give you an example close to home where it does make sense.

One of the reasons that made Greater Vancouver one of the a supercar capitals of the world (we have the most supercars per capita as of 2017/18) is a certain population of kids with VERY wealthy parents who mostly live outside Canada. These kids end up leasing Ferraris, McLarens, Lambos...etc because they want a new car every 2/3 years.

One of our biggest (and more upscale) car dealership networks (OpenRoad Auto Group) starteda membership system called Portfolio where you can "borrow" cars for a monthly fee. This applies to the "lesser" brands like Porsche, BMW, Land Rover and the like.

I'm sure this happens in other places too, but I can at least say leasing caters to this group of folks.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Every now and then I look at some new(er) cars and then I remind myself that GTI has been paid off and being car payment free is more important to me than having “latest and greatest”...and yes I am planning to quit professional workforce in my mid-50s, hopefully..

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
After say leasing a car for three years what do you have? No car nor the money you spent during the three years. Tell me how that's smart?

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
After say leasing a car for three years what do you have? No car nor the money you spent during the three years. Tell me how that's smart?

And after you finance your $25k tarted up economy car for five years, what do you have when you've finally paid it off?

A relatively worthless car.

Leasing makes sense if you don't mind having a perpetual payment, you like new cars, you don't want to have to worry about mx, and you don't drive an excessive amount of miles.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Dave Ramsey panders to the lowest common denominator. If you lack any sort of intelligence or self control, then he has great advice.
Tune in on one of his millionaires only call in shows. Not one of them has ever leased a car. Do want you want and check back in when you're 65 and we'll see how you're doing.