GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Comprehensive Golf MK8 Reviews & Discussions

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
I'm not keen on parking nose-first as you then have to reverse out, just thought it was a clever innovation, hope reverse parking via PP is still an option. Like my first Mik7, originally intened to check out a neally new Mk6, dealer reversed a Mk7 out of the way, I told him to forget the Mk6 test drive I'll have me a spin in the, then, new Mk7. TBH I want to be 'into' the Mk8, really I do, but gotta admit I'm not feeling the love for it so far....

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I
I'm not keen on parking nose-first as you then have to reverse out, just thought it was a clever innovation, hope reverse parking via PP is still an option. Like my first Mik7, originally intened to check out a neally new Mk6, dealer reversed a Mk7 out of the way, I told him to forget the Mk6 test drive I'll have me a spin in the, then, new Mk7. TBH I want to be 'into' the Mk8, really I do, but gotta admit I'm not feeling the love for it so far....
in that CARWOW review at 11:36 he presses the screen and swaps to the nose first option, this symbol ? is shown in the small blue block that he presses and appears to represent the car, presumably allowing a choice of switching from forward or reverse parking depending on the drivers preference.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I see that hood strut is gone on mk8 but instead of single hood latch they went for two...so when the cable snaps it's double the fun to open the hood.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I see that hood strut is gone on mk8 but instead of single hood latch they went for two...so when the cable snaps it's double the fun to open the hood.
It’s seems many other new model cars are also employing this dual latch setup, I believe it is a crash test compliance thing.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
crash tests mk8, bad issue is the rear door flying open on side impact. Could eject passenger. I like the mk8 minus the front end and the digital screens need to be modified a bit. Heard they are already working on refreshing.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
My thoughts are that the GTi and R will change the way people feel about the mk8, they’re sure to look nicer, with the mk7 I don’t particularly like the look of the lower end models but really like the GTi, R, GTD and GTE not so much but it’s still ok! Last weekend I went and had a good look at the NEW 1 Series BMW, although the lower spec models looked ok inside and out, as with the Mk8 I didn’t really like the overall look, the M135i XDrive however, Wow! That thing looks great! Really really nice interior and a very aggressive rear end, front on it too is a little weird but it’s not bad, pictures on the web don’t do this car (M135i) justice, much better looking in person, BMW may have converted me! this could be where my money goes once it’s time to change the GTi.
View attachment 161343
the dash and screens in particular do look remarkably similar to the mk8,
View attachment 161350looked damn good in person, maybe the mk8 will look better up close too

Loved the 135i ever since it came out. The new 2 Series will be here soon enough, which is practically the same as the 1 series in Europe (based on the X1 platform) but not a hatchback. I'm also a massive fan of the new Mercedes A-250 Hatchback. GTI power levels (BMS has confirmed a JB4 on the way) , AWD, Dual-Clutch, priced well. To me, it has the nicest interior I've seen in a long time (especially with the sport package seats). Totally futuristic, but still plenty of analog knobs:

Not at all a fan of the MK8 interior. I think it's dreadful. Although I will reserve judgement until the GTI and R are released.

Since the MK8 was announced, I actually went and test drove a *gasp* Kia Stinger GT2. Totally different car, obviously, but man - thoroughly impressed! Performance, aesthetics, interior, quality, features, everything ... insanely nice car for the money. Almost bought it.

The MK8 has it's work cut out for it with the current competition.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Loved the 135i ever since it came out. The new 2 Series will be here soon enough, which is practically the same as the 1 series in Europe (based on the X1 platform) but not a hatchback. I'm also a massive fan of the new Mercedes A-250 Hatchback. GTI power levels (BMS has confirmed a JB4 on the way) , AWD, Dual-Clutch, priced well. To me, it has the nicest interior I've seen in a long time (especially with the sport package seats). Totally futuristic, but still plenty of analog knobs:

Not at all a fan of the MK8 interior. I think it's dreadful. Although I will reserve judgement until the GTI and R are released.

Since the MK8 was announced, I actually went and test drove a *gasp* Kia Stinger GT2. Totally different car, obviously, but man - thoroughly impressed! Performance, aesthetics, interior, quality, features, everything ... insanely nice car for the money. Almost bought it.

The MK8 has it's work cut out for it with the current competition.

I'm seriously thinking about a Genesis G70 when I give up my MK7.
It thought I'd go with a MK8, but unless the GTI looks quite a bit better than the Golf inside and out - or benefits from a mid cycle refresh - I'm jumping ship.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
It thought I'd go with a MK8, but unless the GTI looks quite a bit better than the Golf inside and out - or benefits from a mid cycle refresh - I'm jumping ship.

Hyundai/Genesis/Kia are absolutely crushing it.

I got flamed in my “2020 Sonata Cool Tech” thread in the General Cars News and Discussions thread from some thin skinned fanbois. Like tech in another make somehow destroys their personal worth because it’s an affront to God and VW.

I am absolutely the same way. Outside of the Arteon and the GTI, VW has nothing that’s innovative or captivating. Just a sea of cars cobbled together using a corporate design language and with shitty tech.

Hyundai/Kia/Genesis are making huge leap forward with every generation and are bringing fun/competitive cars.

With those three I love the Ioniq/Niro with its 58MPG, the Veloster N is fun, the Santa Fe is a great SUV, the G70 comes with RWD and manual, the G90 is a true S-Class fighter, the 2020 Sonata is loaded to the gills with bad ass tech and a 300+ HP N version is on its way, the Kona EV is a 258 mile range electric (meanwhile the E-Golf will be piddling itself in the corner with 80 miles of range)..

Meanwhile VW has the Family Truckster looking Atlas with an archaic and thirsty motor, a sea of Jetta’s and Passat’s that they have to discount by $7k to move AND on top of all of this they pulled the 6/72k warranty.

I was so hopeful for VW when they announced in 2010 their intention to get to 800k sales a year by 2020ish. Well it’s 2020 and they are cranking out sales numbers that are near the bottom of the heap, swapping places with Mazda occasionally. Hell, Mazda has better products than most of the VW lines.

VW seems lost and rudderless, pretty sad.

Last edited:

CDM MK7

Ready to race!

I'd give it a serious look. The G70 is even a step above the Stinger in terms of refinement, but I was honestly shocked at how good even the Stinger GT was. Took a lot mentally to walk in to a Kia dealership (lol), but even at first impression the car was gorgeous and had incredible presence. 365hp/375tq twin-turbo V6 with AWD, a huge auto-lift sportback, and more than enough room for the family. The GT2 trim had a crazy amount of features and tech, and it felt incredibly quick and poised on the road. Just shocked. I can only image what the G70 3.3 would be like. Only reason I walked away from the deal was they sand-bagged my trade in. They have them on for 0% right now, too.

With a simple JB4 these 3.3 V6 models are close to 400hp/500tq. Insane.

Definitely check out the G70.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I've had a few Kia/Hyundai rentals and was impressed. This was 2-3 yrs ago and believe they are even better now. I would look at N today but doubtful you get much of a deal on it. The 5k Off sticker on GTI made it very attractive.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I fell in love with the MK7 as soon as I saw it. I did not have the same feeling with the MK8, and after every time I see new pictures/videos of it, it gets less appealing. I really dislike not having physical buttons and switches. Sure, it's less parts that can break by using the touchscreen for all controls, but it one small thing breaks on the unit then its a couple thousand dollars to fix rather than maybe 30 for a new switch. Bring me back my button, VW! Or at least make it an option