GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering rack replacement

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
I had to have my steering rack replaced a couple months ago on a 4000mi 2018 gti. Thankfully my dealership is cool and covered it under warranty despite the car having coilovers on it, dropped about 1.5", dogbone mount insert, etc. I have since went back to stock suspension for now....I imagine the rack was messed up by the car being lowered, but I am not certain. Can anybody give me some feedback on what they think caused the rack to go bad or how to avoid it from happening again if or when I do put suspension back on the car. Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Parts that have a manufacturing defect will normaly fail within the first few years.

That’s why there’s a warranty.

I doubt your coilovers had anything to do with the rack failure because it doesn’t really work that way.

As far as when you put the coils back on the car. Only you can answer that.

However it’s already been notated that your car was on coils.

Pretty sure anything downstream of that will be called into question, going forward. Even if you leave the coils off.

dsgvw

Ready to race!
4000 miles!? Far from normal for steering rack to go on any suspension setup in that time.

I’d say defect and now you should be good.. put your coils back on and enjoy the car. Just my 2 cents.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Can't see how that would change the geometry enough. If it did, everyone who's lowered would be replacing racks.

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
It does work that way. When you lower a car, it changes the geometry of all of the geometry components. I know that much. I was just inquiring if anybody had this same issue and/or what they did about it to prevent it from happening again.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
It does work that way. When you lower a car, it changes the geometry of all of the geometry components. I know that much. I was just inquiring if anybody had this same issue and/or what they did about it to prevent it from happening again.

There are millions of miles driven with lowered cars without rack replacement.

Especially since we have electric racks now.

I think you just had a bad rack.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Reading for three years on the Forum you are the first rack replace I have heard about. For your question on if others have had issues.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I have never heard this happening on a lowered car. Actually this might be the first time I've read this on golfmk7 since I joined. Either on a lowered or stock car. So I don't think it has to do with being lowered.

bekro

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GtI SE
Thank you all for the input. Coilovers will most likely go back on then.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
The electro racks go out more often than one would think. I’ve done a few sport wagons and some Gtis here and there. The rack was most likely just a manufacture defect. Being lowered would not provide additional wear or cause a malfunction. Lateral impact to your wheel is usually the common denominator when it comes to broken racks

tstadgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE DSG
What were the symptoms? Mine failed also.

Same here. I had mine replaced back in October. My symptom was a loud clicking/knocking sound whenever making tight turns at low speeds (i.e. parking, etc). No clue what caused it, but originally they replaced my subframe, however that fix did not work. So far so good w/ the new rack. FWIW VW extended my bumper to bumper warranty for a year because it took them multiple attempts to diagnose and fix the issue. It also took about 8 weeks to get new steering rack parts.