GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Honda Civic R

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Such an ugly series of weird lines. But unless you have $40k, or a time capsule, it will be another 2 years at least before we see a Mk8 with a promised 280-300 horsies from a warranted GTI perf. VW is still playing catchup in the $30k space

The Civic R is going to be well above $30k. Likely $35K+, and lucky to get one in the first year for under $40K. And it's still fwd.

I think my GTI does fine in the $22K (what I paid new) space. Plenty of budget left to mod the hell out of it too.

yosoydan

Ready to race!
Definitely curious to see it in person. But yeah, the styling isn't for me. It'll get the wrong attention in my area too. Don't want to be a victim of a chopped up Honda, let alone a $35k+ one.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
So is this thing a sedatchback? I can't really tell what it is from the pictures, but by the seams it looks like it has a hatch. And what do the giant rear honeycomb sections accomplish?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
So is this thing a sedatchback? I can't really tell what it is from the pictures, but by the seams it looks like it has a hatch. And what do the giant rear honeycomb sections accomplish?

From my reading:

The R is built in Japan only. Update, just read not Japan but England on R build. Confused?

The USA hatch Civic is built on this side of the pond.

They do not want to build the R in two places so the USA R will be sedan based only.

Not an expert on the Honda R, just stayed at a Holiday Inn express.

My info could be wrong.

Last edited:

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
From my reading:

The R is built in Japan only.
The USA hatch Civic is built on this side of the pond.
They do not want to build the R in two places so the USA R will be sedan based only.

Not an expert on the Honda R, just stayed at a Holiday Inn express.
My info could be wrong.

Thank you, but you still did not divulge the secrets of black project that is the rear honeycomb section.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Count me among those who are scratching the ol' noggin. I like Hondas, and I had a very nice Acura Integra GS-R, and a regular Acura Integra before that (which were pretty much Hondas). My wife had a CR-V for 12+ years, and loved it. But this thing...oy vey. The back is from a nightmare fueled by too many late-night burritos or something. The interior looks like a Victorian cat house crossed with a Tokyo noodle stand. I'm sure it goes like a whipped dog but, um, nah.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Trying too hard with the styling. And that interior looks cheap as hell. It seems like the Japanese cars have a no holds barred competition to see who can make the most aggressive looking car. Fast and Furious has spawned a generation of kids with bad taste... Or maybe I'm just a grumpy old man.

That car is going to be a beast though.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
This car is for ages 20-29 with a salary of 45k+ a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Negative. 16-18 with loaded parents..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Cruiser

Ready to race!
Here's an interesting perspective;
My girlfriend says the market they are targeting requires the car to look like it came straight out of the video games. LOL

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Here's an interesting perspective;
My girlfriend says the market they are targeting requires the car to look like it came straight out of the video games. LOL

That's...not inaccurate, I think. I teach at a college with a huge video game development studio; about a quarter of our undergraduates are in the Game Studio, learning to be designers, programmers, artists, and producers. Though my academic background is in history and political science, for years I also worked in the game industry, mostly as a magazine editor, journalist, and writer, though I did small bits of design and writing for games. The demographic of gamers, players and creators, is shifting from all white males to a much more diverse spectrum of people, but it still is pretty heavily centered on young males with tastes that line up exactly with this Honda.

These young people read manga and anime, exhaustively. They obsess about Japan, still. Their aesthetics are shaped by otaku culture and Nintendo (think spiky hair, angles, wild colors and proportions). I'm generalizing, but yeah, I think this car will nail that demo spot-on. Given that the kids we graduate go on to make good money in their fields, I'm betting dollars to donuts that some of them will be driving these monstrosities soon :).

MK7GTiPP

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm gonna go gouge my eyes out with a spoon.