GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

from 370z to GTI/TSi?

iMk7

Whats up everyone! first post and as the title says Im considering trading in my 370z for either a GTI or even the TSI wolfsburg.. so I need some help from you fine folks! so why the change? I bought my car at 18, had no responsibilities or a care in the world. now at 26 (gf+dog) I just can't deal with it as a daily driver. I don't hate it, but I also don't race, track, or ever use it as its intended + its incredibly impractical and for me at least those combinations are more than enough to let it go.

2 days ago my Gf and I went to a vw dealer to test drive a tsi wolfsburg for her as she needs a car... and man! I absolutely fell in love with it. Just the overall fit, finish, and feel of the car.. I completely forgot we were there for her lol. The ride was nice, it felt like a solid little car.

Ive been getting a ton of S*** from people (friends/family) telling me its a bad idea..:confused: which lead me here to hopefully get some advice from actual owners. As I get older I just want a daily driver that isn't a prius and the golf to me at least just seems like a great sporty daily driver that can actually fit my dog. But of course the GTI bug hit me! the TSI had what seems like adequate power and I love the wolfsburg edition and all the creature comforts.. I even like the sun roof lol. But I really enjoy the style of the GTI and sportier feel.

I'm considering new or used on both.. (mk7)
looking back, would you buy new or used?
and do you ever regret purchasing your current car?
Not sure why everyone is so negative towards me getting a golf/gti, so just looking for any tips or advice on my situation.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I bought mine used. It was a steal. Dieslgate has crushed the car's value, but it's still the same car it was prior to the fiasco.

Used vs new is a tossup. Plenty of deals to be had on new ones. As with any used car you never know what the PO did to it. I felt confident about mine because of 2 things:

10k miles in 6 months by the PO = highway cruiser
Still had the original tires with a manufacture date preceeding that of the build date of the car so I knew those were original too. Had hardly any wear. That meant no track days (unless they used different wheels I guess) and no abusive launches.

Car has been pretty much flawless except I have to push really hard to get the front passenger window to auto lower. Just need a new switchpack probably. Waiting for something else to go wrong before I bother taking it in.

Took my Saab in for warranty work probably 15-20 times. This thing is a Camry by comparison.

TechRoss

Ready to race!
Interesting you taking flack about a VW. Where have these PPL been, under a rock. Look for reviews from any reputable car mag, TV show, web show, see how well they rate the Golf. For the price (in this country, not sure about yours) nothing will compare to quality or power. Then add in the way a GTi handles, and how it can move, then add in the smile factor. There is a reason GTI has such a dedicated following, it borders on cult status, fuck it it is a cult. You will not go wrong with a GTI and I assume any golf for that matter.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
Whats up everyone! first post and as the title says Im considering trading in my 370z for either a GTI or even the TSI wolfsburg.. so I need some help from you fine folks! so why the change? I bought my car at 18, had no responsibilities or a care in the world. now at 26 (gf+dog) I just can't deal with it as a daily driver. I don't hate it, but I also don't race, track, or ever use it as its intended + its incredibly impractical and for me at least those combinations are more than enough to let it go.

2 days ago my Gf and I went to a vw dealer to test drive a tsi wolfsburg for her as she needs a car... and man! I absolutely fell in love with it. Just the overall fit, finish, and feel of the car.. I completely forgot we were there for her lol. The ride was nice, it felt like a solid little car.

Ive been getting a ton of S*** from people (friends/family) telling me its a bad idea..:confused: which lead me here to hopefully get some advice from actual owners. As I get older I just want a daily driver that isn't a prius and the golf to me at least just seems like a great sporty daily driver that can actually fit my dog. But of course the GTI bug hit me! the TSI had what seems like adequate power and I love the wolfsburg edition and all the creature comforts.. I even like the sun roof lol. But I really enjoy the style of the GTI and sportier feel.

I'm considering new or used on both.. (mk7)
looking back, would you buy new or used?
and do you ever regret purchasing your current car?
Not sure why everyone is so negative towards me getting a golf/gti, so just looking for any tips or advice on my situation.
I know how you feel. I have a g35 coupe but after years of getting my son in and out of the back I got a 2016 4 door Golf SE. I kept the g35 for fun, it's a manual, but to be honest I don't drive it that often anymore. I'm 6'2" so I fit better in the golf and the interior is nicer.

GoGoMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
I traded my 370Z for a GTI because I need more room. I have a S so the base price is not too high. For the price of a S I would get a new for peace of mind since is not too $$$$. My only regard is not getting a SE at that time (2016) because I wanted push start.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
I thought dieselgate would have made it cheaper but the dealer in my area would only move so much. I know what you mean about getting older , I'm 20 years older than you, and although I sometimes wish I'd have gotten the GTI overall I'm happy with my choice. I figured I wanted a quality daily driver and a GTI was about $2500 to 3k more like for like. I decided to save the money and get the golf SE with the lighting package. I figure the convenience of keyless entry,push button start, a sunroof , better stereo and infotainment would benefit me more than the added power and sharper handling on my daily drive. Plus the golf comes with the 15" Lyon wheels and the SE gets you the 17" Madrids which look a lot better IMO. Besides I still have my g35 if the mood strikes me.

Last edited:

Joel

Ready to race!
It is a fun car, easy to drive/park.
Plenty of room available with the folding rear seats.

I went looking to get a Wolfsburg manual, just couldn't get a color I wanted with the stick.
Then after realizing how good of a deal the GTI is, and only 39 dollars more for insurance a year than the Wolfsburg I can't complain.
Got the manual I wanted, color I wanted.... and a bit more fun of a car.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Idk what your budget is like, but coming from a 370Z i think you'd appreciate a GTI. They're mostly reliable, so i'm glad you took your friends/family's cocked eyes with a grain of salt until you heard from actual owners. Most people love their Golfs and GTIs, and most don't have enough issues with them for it to be considered an unreliable car. Worth noting that the Golf is actually having more dealer visits per hundred owners in the first year of ownership than the GTI, for whatever thats worth. But yeah... if you want a GTI, get it man. You'll love it. Checks all your boxes (more efficient, more utilitarian, similar performance, similar reliability). Get the GF the Golf ;)

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
I'm a new GTI owner so my view may be biased BUT... I love my GTI 6MT. As a daily driver it is very comfortable (I drive 100-200 miles every day) plenty of passenger space for several 6' people, it has a ton of space with the rear seats down, and he unlimited smile factor of putting your right foot down is a huge bonus. I've also been getting 34-36mpg in 95% highway driving so far since I've owned it. The Wolfsburg Golf is a great car, probably would be perfect for your needs. But I would personally wonder why I didn't spend a little extra on the GTI every time I saw one. The one issue I have with my GTI is that it can be expensive to own, depending on how many things you buy to add to that smile factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Looking back...
- I bought mine new, because it recently hit the showrooms and during 2014, so I really had no choice to get used whatsoever, but i'd probably look hard for used, knowing it doesn't hold value like a honda, etc.

- Aside from say getting a manual instead of DSG and probably not getting the performance pack, no.

- I have people giving me shit for my VW, because of some of their personal experiences. Even I asked my boss for advice, he asked me "you must make more money than me, in order to pay for those german repairs", he drives an 2011 TL with over 100k miles now, so I can't really get back at him. Also some people see this car like a "dorky" or something equivalent of Kia Soul or Nissan Cube as "those" cars, visit Europe, they'll lost count 5 minutes after they began.

iMk7

I bought mine used. It was a steal. Dieslgate has crushed the car's value, but it's still the same car it was prior to the fiasco.

Used vs new is a tossup. Plenty of deals to be had on new ones. As with any used car you never know what the PO did to it. I felt confident about mine because of 2 things:

10k miles in 6 months by the PO = highway cruiser
Still had the original tires with a manufacture date preceeding that of the build date of the car so I knew those were original too. Had hardly any wear. That meant no track days (unless they used different wheels I guess) and no abusive launches.

Car has been pretty much flawless except I have to push really hard to get the front passenger window to auto lower. Just need a new switchpack probably. Waiting for something else to go wrong before I bother taking it in.

Took my Saab in for warranty work probably 15-20 times. This thing is a Camry by comparison.

Interesting you taking flack about a VW. Where have these PPL been, under a rock. Look for reviews from any reputable car mag, TV show, web show, see how well they rate the Golf. For the price (in this country, not sure about yours) nothing will compare to quality or power. Then add in the way a GTi handles, and how it can move, then add in the smile factor. There is a reason GTI has such a dedicated following, it borders on cult status, fuck it it is a cult. You will not go wrong with a GTI and I assume any golf for that matter.

I know how you feel. I have a g35 coupe but after years of getting my son in and out of the back I got a 2016 4 door Golf SE. I kept the g35 for fun, it's a manual, but to be honest I don't drive it that often anymore. I'm 6'2" so I fit better in the golf and the interior is nicer.

I traded my 370Z for a GTI because I need more room. I have a S so the base price is not too high. For the price of a S I would get a new for peace of mind since is not too $$$$. My only regard is not getting a SE at that time (2016) because I wanted push start.

I thought dieselgate would have made it cheaper but the dealer in my area would only move so much. I know what you mean about getting older , I'm 20 years older than you, and although I sometimes wish I'd have gotten the GTI overall I'm happy with my choice. I figured I wanted a quality daily driver and a GTI was about $2500 to 3k more like for like. I decided to save the money and get the golf SE with the lighting package. I figure the convenience of keyless entry,push button start, a sunroof , better stereo and infotainment would benefit me more than the added power and sharper handling on my daily drive. Plus the golf comes with the 15" Lyon wheels and the SE gets you the 17" Madrids which look a lot better IMO. Besides I still have my g35 if the mood strikes me.

It is a fun car, easy to drive/park.
Plenty of room available with the folding rear seats.

I went looking to get a Wolfsburg manual, just couldn't get a color I wanted with the stick.
Then after realizing how good of a deal the GTI is, and only 39 dollars more for insurance a year than the Wolfsburg I can't complain.
Got the manual I wanted, color I wanted.... and a bit more fun of a car.

Idk what your budget is like, but coming from a 370Z i think you'd appreciate a GTI. They're mostly reliable, so i'm glad you took your friends/family's cocked eyes with a grain of salt until you heard from actual owners. Most people love their Golfs and GTIs, and most don't have enough issues with them for it to be considered an unreliable car. Worth noting that the Golf is actually having more dealer visits per hundred owners in the first year of ownership than the GTI, for whatever thats worth. But yeah... if you want a GTI, get it man. You'll love it. Checks all your boxes (more efficient, more utilitarian, similar performance, similar reliability). Get the GF the Golf ;)

First time GTI owner here.
Based on what you stated and want in a car, get the GTI.
Link below to my build thread if you want more info and thoughts.
I also carry 2 dogs in rear seat on trips. FYI.

I'm a new GTI owner so my view may be biased BUT... I love my GTI 6MT. As a daily driver it is very comfortable (I drive 100-200 miles every day) plenty of passenger space for several 6' people, it has a ton of space with the rear seats down, and he unlimited smile factor of putting your right foot down is a huge bonus. I've also been getting 34-36mpg in 95% highway driving so far since I've owned it. The Wolfsburg Golf is a great car, probably would be perfect for your needs. But I would personally wonder why I didn't spend a little extra on the GTI every time I saw one. The one issue I have with my GTI is that it can be expensive to own, depending on how many things you buy to add to that smile factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the responses! Ill be going to a vw dealership again to test drive the GTI, but I think I'm pretty set on it. It'll be a good balance between sport/confort and it'll be pretty cool to see his and hers (golf 1.8T & GTI) in the drive way.. Hopefully buying 2 cars will hand me a better deal.

Ill most likely get the DSG tranny (I know I know, its not a manual lol) BUT after driving and owning Manual trans for about 8 years, a DSG sounds nice for daily driving in LA county traffic. I have mixed feelings about it so ill be driving both manual and dsg at the dealership. DSG+stage 1 tune sounds like a perfect combo with what I'm looking for in a Daily Driver.

as far as reliability goes... Its a bit of a concern, But my 370z had so many problems that at some point I was really hoping someone would just steal the POS (thank goodness for warranty) So vw can't be that bad *knock on wood. lol.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
From what I've gathered reading your post I'd suggest the GTI S. Even in base form it's very well equipped and since you don't plan to track it the extra cost for the sport or PP isn't worth it.

I have a 2016 four door, S, Manual and love it. Sure I would have liked a Sport Package if they had offered it last year, but the car does great putting down the power I'm making, gets great mileage, and plenty of room for my family and buddies I commute with.