GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is the color of this dress?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
It's a tarp!

GTR_Killer

Go Kart Champion
the god damn thing is blue and black...i just came in here to make this exact thread.

and that first link is wrong....thats just some little cocksickle trying to take credit and confuse people even more....its all over the place that the dress is really black and blue. some people may see the gold and white...but the dress is truly black and blue

12bluemk6

Ready to race!
the god damn thing is blue and black...i just came in here to make this exact thread.

and that first link is wrong....thats just some little cocksickle trying to take credit and confuse people even more....its all over the place that the dress is really black and blue. some people may see the gold and white...but the dress is truly black and blue

I hope you're right because I see black and blue, although I'm always stressed which makes me even more confused. What are colors?

Cpuga93

Ready to race!
Yeah same here at times I will see it gold and white and then after looking at it for a while it's blue and black. The true color is obviously blue and black but the picture just happens to be an accidental optical illusion

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
It's a light blue with gold...

Cpuga93

Ready to race!
Light enters the eye through the lens — different wavelengths corresponding to different colors. The light hits the retina in the back of the eye where pigments fire up neural connections to the visual cortex, the part of the brain that processes those signals into an image. Critically, though, that first burst of light is made of whatever wavelengths are illuminating the world, reflecting off whatever you’re looking at. Without you having to worry about it, your brain figures out what color light is bouncing off the thing your eyes are looking at, and essentially subtracts that color from the “real” color of the object. “Our visual system is supposed to throw away information about the illuminant and extract information about the actual reflectance,” says Jay Neitz, a neuroscientist at the University of Washington. “But I’ve studied individual differences in color vision for 30 years, and this is one of the biggest individual differences I’ve ever seen.” (Neitz sees white-and-gold.)
Usually that system works just fine. This image, though, hits some kind of perceptual boundary. That might be because of how people are wired. Human beings evolved to see in daylight, but daylight changes color. That chromatic axis varies from the pinkish red of dawn, up through the blue-white of noontime, and then back down to reddish twilight. “What’s happening here is your visual system is looking at this thing, and you’re trying to discount the chromatic bias of the daylight axis,” says Bevil Conway, a neuroscientist who studies color and vision at Wellesley College. “So people either discount the blue side, in which case they end up seeing white and gold, or discount the gold side, in which case they end up with blue and black.” (Conway sees blue and orange, somehow.)

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
I'm just going to play ignorant to all of this... :yikes:

12bluemk6

Ready to race!
Light enters the eye through the lens — different wavelengths corresponding to different colors. The light hits the retina in the back of the eye where pigments fire up neural connections to the visual cortex, the part of the brain that processes those signals into an image. Critically, though, that first burst of light is made of whatever wavelengths are illuminating the world, reflecting off whatever you’re looking at. Without you having to worry about it, your brain figures out what color light is bouncing off the thing your eyes are looking at, and essentially subtracts that color from the “real” color of the object. “Our visual system is supposed to throw away information about the illuminant and extract information about the actual reflectance,” says Jay Neitz, a neuroscientist at the University of Washington. “But I’ve studied individual differences in color vision for 30 years, and this is one of the biggest individual differences I’ve ever seen.” (Neitz sees white-and-gold.)
Usually that system works just fine. This image, though, hits some kind of perceptual boundary. That might be because of how people are wired. Human beings evolved to see in daylight, but daylight changes color. That chromatic axis varies from the pinkish red of dawn, up through the blue-white of noontime, and then back down to reddish twilight. “What’s happening here is your visual system is looking at this thing, and you’re trying to discount the chromatic bias of the daylight axis,” says Bevil Conway, a neuroscientist who studies color and vision at Wellesley College. “So people either discount the blue side, in which case they end up seeing white and gold, or discount the gold side, in which case they end up with blue and black.” (Conway sees blue and orange, somehow.)

:thanks:

12bluemk6

Ready to race!

razr390

Go Kart Champion
I feel like if the original question was not

"Is it white/gold or blue/black" we would have received even more interesting observations.

Since the original dress is royal blue and black the colors in the picture provided are shades of that but nowhere near royal blue or full black.