GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV Oil Consumption - No leaks or smoke

ramtour2

Ramtour2
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I have a 2007 GTI that is burning a quart of oil every 400 Miles. It’s not blowing out any blue smoke or leaking any oil. I have replaced the PCV valve. I pulled the plugs today and they are slightly ashy but not oily at all. I can’t comprehend where the oil is going. Any ideas? I’ve read that a bad valve cover can cause oil consumption but I don’t understand how that could cause this problem if it isn’t leaking and mine isn’t leaking at all. I did a compression test and I get 200 psi on all four cylinders. The mystery continues. Please post your diagnosis. Thanks!!

Last edited:

ramtour2

Ramtour2
Car(s)
2007 GTI
What would I be looking for?

The turbo works great and it sounds normal. No leaks of any kind. Is there a way to test for problems?

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Even if it works it may still leak oil I think. A quart every 400 miles is huge, if it's not the turbo or PCV then I would check the compression of each cylinder because something is wrong.

ramtour2

Ramtour2
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Compression on each cylinder is fairly uniform and close to 200 on each. There are no visible leaks but I think you are saying it may be leaking oil into the turbo?

I've read that the valve covers on these have baffles and even though I have replaced the PCV valve recently, if the baffles are bad it can leak oil into the intake. Is that correct?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Your are burning it or leaking it. You can pull VC off and see if the passages in VC are still intact and post up good pictures of your sparkplugs.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
There are no visible leaks but I think you are saying it may be leaking oil into the turbo?

If the turbine shaft has axial play or the oil return line is clogged then oil can leak into the admission, that's what I am saying. Yes, check the valve cover for damage.

Rotibajan

I am doing this repair as I post this. I have no doubt it's the gasket on the Oil Filter Housing (located in mid front the of the engine) that has lost it's function. They dry out after years and heat, then the leak is constant addition of oil. Expensive and iritating. No doubt it your demon oil leak. It by no means is an easy job. I'm doing this at the same time I change my timing belt, cam chain and tensioner. Normally would cost for this total tear down about $1900+. So far I'm out $375 in parts + my labor and personal know how.

Cjpolokid

Ready to race!
I have a 2007 GTI that is burning a quart of oil every 400 Miles. It’s not blowing out any blue smoke or leaking any oil. I have replaced the PCV valve. I pulled the plugs today and they are slightly ashy but not oily at all. I can’t comprehend where the oil is going. Any ideas? I’ve read that a bad valve cover can cause oil consumption but I don’t understand how that could cause this problem if it isn’t leaking and mine isn’t leaking at all. I did a compression test and I get 200 psi on all four cylinders. The mystery continues. Please post your diagnosis. Thanks!!

Chnage the Valves cover gasket mine was doing the samething i changes that and its running great it burn oil but not alot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
I am doing this repair as I post this. I have no doubt it's the gasket on the Oil Filter Housing (located in mid front the of the engine) that has lost it's function. They dry out after years and heat, then the leak is constant addition of oil. Expensive and iritating. No doubt it your demon oil leak. It by no means is an easy job. I'm doing this at the same time I change my timing belt, cam chain and tensioner. Normally would cost for this total tear down about $1900+. So far I'm out $375 in parts + my labor and personal know how.

The oil filter housing gasket should be changed every time you do your oil change, no? The oil filter comes with a rubber gasket.

Chnage the Valves cover gasket mine was doing the samething i changes that and its running great it burn oil but not alot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How difficult was your valve cover gasket change? I have the most terrible luck getting hose clamps, rubber lines, electrical connectors etc. off of parts. Checking the cam follower for the first time was a nightmare...eventually got it done.

Rotibajan

The oil filter housing gasket should be changed every time you do your oil change, no? The oil filter comes with a rubber gasket.

How difficult was your valve cover gasket change? I have the most terrible luck getting hose clamps, rubber lines, electrical connectors etc. off of parts. Checking the cam follower for the first time was a nightmare...eventually got it done.
No. That should be changed every 100,000 miles. Its in a very tough position though

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Rotibajan

I think he is speaking about the gasket that comes with the oil filter, not the actual oil filter/oil cooler to block gasket.
Based on what he asked I the he was refferring to the one on the block. But the other gasket I change everytime I change the oil filter and oil at oil change intervals

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
I was talking about the one in the plastic housing, the gasket that included with the filter.
Seems like the rest of y'all are talking about the oil cooler gasket...that does look like a handful.

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
I have a 2007 GTI that is burning a quart of oil every 400 Miles. It’s not blowing out any blue smoke or leaking any oil.

Sorry - but I'm having a hard time believing that. A quart every 400 miles is huge, and there's no way it can simply vanish into thin air (unless you have a buddy pulling a prank on you and siphoning some out every day - which would actually be a pretty neat trick).

So, if it's not coming out the rear main seal (possibly blown out by a bad PCV valve), or leaking from one or more bad gaskets (with oil all over underside of motor), then it's probably getting burned (turbo shaft seal or bad rings) with visible smoke and a black wet exhaust pipe.

I don't want to doubt you - but I'd try looking harder for obvious signs. Have a buddy follow you, watching for smoke on acceleration & deceleration. You could also do a leak-down test.